Logo

Mercruiser no forward

C

Chris M

I recently changed out my impe

I recently changed out my impeller. After this it would stall anytime it was put in gear. So I suspected a shift shaft issue. removed the entire out drive and split the upper and lower halves fixed the shaft that was 180 out. reassembled the out drive. It appeared to work with the ear muffs put it in the lake and works in reverse but no forward. No noise just reving engine.

Stalling was prob. caused by s

Stalling was prob. caused by stiff action of cable. did you kink the cable? unhook at carb and feel the action as you shift by hand. Also the cable needs wide arching bends to move freely and rerouting from original location may be your issue.

Kurt

"Chris M,
You gotta check tha

"Chris M,
You gotta check that when you mated the lower to the upper, the chrome shift arm (looks like the size of your pinky finger with the tip bent) is perfectly seated into the shift arm of the upper unit.

You should have the drive engaged into FORWARD when removing/installing the drives.

If it's in Forward, make certain that chrome shift arm is facing forward. My guess is they aren't mated correctly. You can give this a visual check by placing the drive unit in the "full up/trailer" position, and peaking inside the cavity under the drive that was just created by lifting the drive full-up.

Hope this helps!
Eddie"

Back