Logo

Power trim problem on plane

gkm24

Regular Contributor
"My trim/tilt system seems to

"My trim/tilt system seems to work fine as I have just replaced both the trim sensor and the trim limit sensors on the sterndrive. When I first put the boat in the water this weekend, I seem to have a problem with it. At trolling speeds the trim will work perfectly and stop when the correct trim limit is reached, however if I operate the boat at any speed on plane the trim will not work. Even if I push the trailer switch, the drive leg will not lift. I assume that the pump is working as I can' hear it but it works fine at all other times. I even sat on the leg and got someone to operate the tilt and it lifts me fine. Is there some sort of valve fitted to the pump? It seems that the pump prssure of the hydraulics is not enough to overcome the prop thrust. Is this adjustable or is it a bad pump??? (I must say that I did have this problem before carrying out the work to it and only changed the limit and sender pots as one was broken).Thanks for any info."

"Graham,
Some clarification q

"Graham,
Some clarification questions:
Did it work fine before your sensor job?
Are you saying that you can HEAR the pump when you press the trim switches while up on plane and underway?
Is there sufficient oil in the reservoir?
Is the oil in the reservoir foamy or white?

My gut says there is air in the system and you need to bleed it out.

Hope this helps. Let us know!

Eddie"

"No, the trim would not push t

"No, the trim would not push the leg up before the work was done while at a speed faster than trolling. I cannot hear the pump over the engine noise while underway. There seems to be sufficient oil in the system although the oil seems to be a lime green colour. I will have to check for foaming. Tell me about bleeding. Although I think thats ok, I will give anything a try."

"If the trim works fine when i

"If the trim works fine when in neutral or slow speeds and only malfuctions when at higher speeds that would indicate to me that you may have a wire issue at the shifter handle/control box.

If you could find a way to have someone or your self to be at the back of the boat when you are having this problem and manually activate the trim pump by jumping the solenoid/s and see if they work. The up solenoid has a small gauge BLUE wire and the down has a small guage GREEN wire. Make a wire jumper and go from the POSITIVE 10 gauge RED connection to the solenoids with one side of the jumper and touch either the small green or blue wire connection as mentioned before. I would suggest trying this first so you understand what you are doing.

If this works when you are having trim problems from the switch/s on the control handle then it is in the wiring between the switches and the pump.

One common place of issue is where the three prong connector connects at the pump (blue, gree, purple wires in a round black rubber plug). It does not always make a good connection and should be checked. Possible it is loosing its connection under load/vibration."

I will try as you say but woul

I will try as you say but would this not show up if i operate the trim with the handle in the forward position whether the boat was running or not?? Just a thought. I will try this as well. You could be right. I will report back tomorrow. Thanks.

Yes I agree It should happen w

Yes I agree It should happen when the boat is not in use also. But when the boat is under load funny things can happen that do not happen when on the trailer.................

I read that engine oil grade 1

I read that engine oil grade 10-40w is the correct oil. Can someone confirm this please. thanks.

check the psi on the punp as i

check the psi on the punp as it's needs a lot more power to lift the drive up when the prop is driving it down.

Back