Logo

1993 8hp wonbt start

"I have a 1993 8hp that won&#3

"I have a 1993 8hp that won't start. Have tried fresh gas, new plugs, which test ok - I get spark, cleaned carb, kill switch tests ok. I'm stumped...where do I go from here?"

"ok, compression readings are

"ok, compression readings are just under 100 for top cylinder and right about 100 for the bottom. Is that good? What next?"

the best is to b uy a factory

the best is to b uy a factory manual

time the motor
make sure it is TDC top dead center and on 0 degrees on the flywheel

one other thing which may or m

one other thing which may or may not be related - this motor is REALLY hard to crank! I have to use almost all my strentgh to pull the starter. This doesn't seem right for such a small o/b...

i'm using the Seloc online

i'm using the Seloc online manual. are you referring to a timing light? i've never used one - is it pretty straightforward?

"ok, depth reading is about 2.

"ok, depth reading is about 2.5"
there are markings on the flywheel - "30..20..10..TDC" but I don't know how to use them...
manual is kinda vague...
coulod it be something else? carb?"

"Ok, here's an update on w

"Ok, here's an update on what I've done so far:
- replaced carb/fuel pump with new
- replaced plugs which test ok
- replaced fuel tank, fuel tank line/bulb and fuel
- sprayed starting fluid
- compression test reads ~100 psi on each cylinder
So where do I go now (other than the repair shop
uhoh.gif
)"

"maybe so, but how can I check

"maybe so, but how can I check or adjust timing when I can't even get the thing started? One more thing - the plug threads seem relatively dry as if they're not getting enough fuel."

well if it does not kick over

well if it does not kick over when starting fluid is sprayed then it is not sparking at the right time

"Ron, You have to focus on the

"Ron, You have to focus on the timing, correct the timing. you will not have that differcult time pulling it to start."

"Got that, however, how could

"Got that, however, how could the timing be off if no one has messed with it? Secondly, how do I adjust the timing if I can't start the motor?"

you need to adjust timing at 0

you need to adjust timing at 0 deggress at TDC first!!!!

they flywheel key could have broke!

"Hey, no need to yell...this i

"Hey, no need to yell...this is all new territory to me! I have no idea how to do that. The Seloc manual wasn't much help in this area. This may be outta my league..."

Back