Logo

Prop is not turning

D

Dollema

Have a 1969 stern drive 155hp.

Have a 1969 stern drive 155hp. The electrical cluthes have power and engage but the prop will not turn. Engine runs great. Any suggestions on the cause?

The prop turns in neutral. Do

The prop turns in neutral. Do you still think it is the shear pins?

easy to check. see if you can

easy to check. see if you can turn the prop while holding the cone still. or just pull the cone and look. the shear pin is right under it.

"Scott, Thanks for taking your

"Scott, Thanks for taking your time to help me. Let see if I can explain my situation. There is power on the clutches. With the engine running and put in forward or reverse will not turn the prop. Had to have boat towed in. Checked the cone and the prop. The cone does not spin independently. Why want the boat go forward or reverse?"

The prop will not turn in forw

The prop will not turn in forward or reverse when the buttons are pushed on the remote. When in neutral the prop spins freely. Is it pumping water? I hooked a water hose to it and water comes out. Should it come out with force? There isn't any clanging noise when the engine is running.

From what you describe I'm

From what you describe I'm assuming you have an OMC being they are the only ones that had electric shift. You have stripped the intermediate shaft in the drive. That's the shaft that connects the lower to the upper and the water pump is driven by. Common problem. You will have to replace that shaft along with the upper shaft in the outdrive.

Back