Logo

Bravo III clutch assembly

sporttool1

"I have a 1995 7.4 Merc with a

"I have a 1995 7.4 Merc with a Bravo III outdrive. Last outing, last year it started accelerating prior to shifing into reverse. I've had it in twice this year to adjust the linkage and then replace the shifter cable and linkage. Here's what happens: when cold it shifts excellent, but when hot it is either very slow to shift into reverse or won't shift till I accelerate (forward gear works fine all the time). Because it shifts fine cold, but not hot, the mechanic believes that it is the hydraulic clutch assemby that is worn. He says the "upgrade kit" is $1,200 plus labor to install. Do you concur with this analysis? What other thoughts do you have please?"

"I am currently going thru a s

"I am currently going thru a similar situation right now. The boat is a bit older than yours 1989 vs 1995.
The only way to accuratley determine this is to physically inspect the cone clutch and make sure the cable are adjusted correctly and the cable are in spec with respect to cable slop.

I am not an expert on this as I do not have any bravo experience. My expertise lies with ALPHA outdrive.
In my case the groves on the male cone are worn down and in some cases are almost flat. This is the part that actually move up and down and engages forward and reverse gears.

Your statement has 2 different issues in it. When you say "it accelerates prior to shifting in reverse" That would indicate to me that the shift cable is out of adjustment or a worn mechanical part in the outdrive, causing the shift control to engage the throttle cable before you engage into reverse. Is this what you are talking to?

As far as the hot vs cold this is my take. The upper gear housing gets the hottest of all the out drive. This would in my opinion cause the gear lube to be at it thinnist. The lack of viscosity combined with cone wear could in fact cause this. $1200 is cheap the cost is more like $1400 because you have to by a kit that brings the components to the current design. Once there individual wear parts can be purchased. GO figure!!

Hope this helps and keep us informed, especially me.

Thanks"

Thanks for the input. When &#

Thanks for the input. When "bench" tested at the shop it shifts perfectly and when I launch it is so smooth that you can hardly feel the shift into reverse (engine is cold in both instances). Therefore I beleive the cable adjustment to be correct. The only variable is when the outdrive is cold v. hot. I guess we'll pull the outdrive AGAIN and inspect the cones.

Back