Logo

Nissan 98 2004 FWD Shift difficult

B

Brook Stockton

"I have a new to me 2 stroke,

"I have a new to me 2 stroke, tested ok in a water barrel, took it out today and it's difficult to shift into FWD. The gear lever will not go forward easily, 1 try out of 10 it will clank into FWD and stay in gear. Gear selector shifts to neutral and reverse reliably.

Brought it home, checked lower unit oil, no water, oil is dark grey, no obvious adjustments on shift linkage. Appreciate any advice for forum members.

Thanks Brook"

"Thanks Guru. The lower unit

"Thanks Guru. The lower unit oil is translucent, not milky, just looks well used but I didnt think emulsified (I'm no expert).

Anything I can check in the shift adjustment? Stil think I have a water issue in the lower unit?

I guess we're leading up to a trip to the dealer. This motor was purchased for a Mexico/Costa Rica 4 year sailing cruise, not sure if any professional service has ever been done.

Thanks again"

"I brought the motor to the ho

"I brought the motor to the house and run it in a water barrel, runs fine, no shifting issues whatsoever. Is it possible things just got out of "sync"?

My local dealer is 2-3 weeks out on service so thats a big hole to shoot into the middle of the season...I'd rather keep it running till the end of the season and have a major service done then in the off season.

Suggestions? Thanks"

It's not possible to be ou

It's not possible to be out of "sync" and then come back into "sync". You were not trying to shift the engine without it running were you?

Back