Logo

327q retrofit

smsaero

"Hello fellow boaters. I have

"Hello fellow boaters. I have a 1969 17' chris craft ski boat with a 240 hp 327 v8. The and has prooven to be unreliable as it has been sititng for a few years and i dont want to be nickle and dimed by replacing old parts. I am considering dropping in a different engine and not rebuilding the old one. Note the existing engine sits on an angle ans has an intake manifold that has a sloped carb base to level the carb out. What do i do with a different engine that does not have this. I would like to go with a little bit higher hp engine as well and with something that parts are a little easier to come buy. Same goes for the tranny as well. Any advice would be help from you fellow boaters. If i do swap out the eninge i would sell the old one for parts as well so if there is anbody in need of the engine feel free to let me know. Its a 327q. If i do decide to rebuild the 327, are there upgrades i can look into with cooling, manifolds ect that are easier to come by."

"Hello Steve,

Don't fal

"Hello Steve,

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a new motor is what you need because your motor is "unreliable".

So-called "unreliable" motors come from simple thigs mostly associated from the ancillary equipment. Even a new motor in a few short years will experience the same need for attention.

Unreliable starting? Check ignition points, condensor, rotor, distributor cap, wires, carb, and fuel pump. All said and done you'll have $600 in it if you buy ALL NEW STUFF, including the fuel pump and new #1409 Edelbrock marine carb. Oh yes, fuel filter too, I would strongly recommend a big RACOR with a small fuel injection filter right there at the carb.

Really want a new marine motor and tranny, then instead of $600 for "as new performance" better be prepared to shell out around $6000 if you are lucky.

The repowering market ads make it sound so easy, but in reality, your basic motor is probably still sound, unless you have low oil pressure, low compression, bad valves or head, etc., in which case you can get a complete longblock for under $2000.

There are some good options, but unless you have looked after the ancillary equipment, you may not really need a new motor.

Hope this helps give you a perspective. Marine motors sit most of their life. I have one I just resurrected after it sat six years, it looked bad, I thought for sure it would need to be replaced, but darn, no fun with that kind of action because it is up and running like a bear with no smome and didn't miss a beat last time out (Sunday).

Regards,

Paul"

Back