Logo

2005 F60 NoisyVibration in Gear at Idle

stripedbass

"Posted on Sunday, July 27, 20

"Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 02:13 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2005 F60 with 31 hours on it. I got it in March 2008. The engine was unregistered and still in the box. It's mounted on a 1690 Maritime Skiff. I just got it back from my service guy who performed the '20' hour check. In addition, I had the mechanic install a new water pump and we also went from a 13" steel prop to a 12" steel prop.

Here's my problem: When in gear at at idle speed 700 rpm, both in forward and reverse, the motor is extremely noisy with a lot of vibration. At about 1000-1100 rpm it smooths out and basically runs real well. In neutral, you can hardly hear the motor run.

Previous to bringing it in for service, the motor/gearbox, etc. was extremely quiet all the time, even in gear at idle.

What could the mechanic do (or not do)to cause this issue? The new prop is the same as the old one except that it's 1" lower in pitch.

Any help appreciated.

SB"

It sounds like your problem is

It sounds like your problem is in the new prop. If you still have the old one give it a try and see if you still have the problem. My guess is the prop is out of balance.

Back