Logo

SHIFTING PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

rnjronnie

Hello....

First off plea

Hello....

First off please excuse my ignorrance with boats.. I just bought a used 1991 20ft bayliner bowrider... Its has a mercruiser 120 hp 4 cyl enjine.. not sure what kind of outdrive i dont know the differences yet... Im new to boating but fairly mechanically inclined.. anyways here is my problem...

When i bought the bought the guy said the shift linkage needed adjusted because the reverse wont engage it just chatters.. Works fine out of the water..

Took it out to the lake was going great for about 2 hours with no reverse... Went to take of in forward and it started jerking and chattering like it wasnt all the way engaged.. Got a tow back to the dock trailered it and tested it out side the water.

Without engine working the prop spins free in neutraul and appears to work fine in forward and revers. LOCKS up SO I CANT TURN...

Started the boat up and it shifts fine in reverse and forward..

IT JUST WONT SHIFT IN WATER....

Let me know what i need to do guys.. will be calling marina repair this week would like to know more about it...

thanks

Ronnie

"Ayuh,....

It sounds like y

"Ayuh,....

It sounds like you need a New Lower Shift Cable....."

it sounds like your clutch dog

it sounds like your clutch dog teeth and gear teeth have worn down to the point that the gears wont stay engaged under load. That is my first thought. This is typically caused by not shifting firmly into gear and shifting slowly causing a racheting/clicking sound. When shifting it must be done firmly so there is a SINGLE clunk sound.

Based on the year of the boat this is my opinion.

"As post 2 also said your shor

"As post 2 also said your short cable from the engine shift bracket to the out drive is out of adjustment. How much is hard to say but typically if you do not have one of the gears engaged you have the other, (forward and no reverse or reverse and no forward)That is why I am leaning towards worn cluth dog/gear teeth. Aslo having the cables out of adjustment for a LONG period of use will also cause this.

If you feel you try to adjust the cables reply to my email address and I can discuss the proper method to help you diagnose your issue futher."

Back