Logo

Alpha drive harmonics

E

Ed Lyon

I have a 2001 Sea Ray bowrider

I have a 2001 Sea Ray bowrider 185. ever since I purchased it new I have noticed a noise over the engine. When brand new it was only at various low RPMs and at different down trim positions. The other day I noticed it was pretty much constant at any trim setting from down to neutral and only went away above 3200 RPMs. It is a whirring sound. Could it be improper lash in the pinion gears? It bothers me.

"[b]"Could it be improper

""Could it be improper lash in the pinion gears?"

If that's the case,...There'll be Metal in the oil....."

"Check u joint bellows for tea

"Check u joint bellows for tears or cracks. Sounds like maybee gimble bearing is not happy and maybee engine alignment is off if not caused by water intrusion. Have you been lubing gimble? also a stethascope will let you isolate origin of noise. Mechanic stethascopes are very cheap and an invaluable tool for any tech. I use one almost daily and have always pinpointed noise sorces quickly and without false part condeming.
I even once found the sorce of a whining noise
after 3 techs couldn't and they replaced the power steering pump, alternator, belt, and water pump to no avail. Took me 10 minutes to condem the heater core. I found casting flash cought in the tubes causing a reed effect. I back flushed and within 30 min. cust was back on the road happy as can be and we avoided a buy back for Suzuki.

Kurt"

"Thanks for the responses. Thi

"Thanks for the responses. This noise has been with the boat since new. Just variables have changed as to when I hear it. I routinely change the drive oil. At the beginning of this year I had the bellows changed and the gimble bearing replaced along with the shift cable just because... Preventative maintainance. I haven't seen metal in any oil. Engine or drive.

I have at times noticed that when under way and running through chop. If I am hearing it, the sound will come and go as the bow rises and falls ie. the drive slightly pitching???"

Back