Logo

16V71Naturals Rebuild or Replace

sam_wilson

"I have a boat with a pair of

"I have a boat with a pair of 16V71 Naturals (no turbos). Unknown age/ No serial numbers / Possibly WWII era. Boat was originally a Crew Boat servicing the Gulf of Mexico oil rigs and was converted in 1990 to a pleasure yacht. The engines have been 100% reliable but the cylinders are worn, rings sticking, and seal leaks all over (messy bilge). I understand a true DD dealer charges $30,000 per rebuild and new engine refit would be $150,000 per engine, so there's a big difference in cost. What increase in fuel economy could I expect? I normally run 1400RPM / 10gal per hr/engine / 8-9 knots. New engines would also be a lot smaller, possibly allowing for re-arrangement of some of the space on the boat. Here is my thought: If my fuel consumption would be cut in half, I'd consider new engines."

This engine is rebuildable!! t

This engine is rebuildable!! the best thing about it is each cyl. can be inspected for possible engine problems before it is even torn apart for the rebuild. This way cost goes down in some cases. DeFaco!!

Kevin

"Does anyone know where you co

"Does anyone know where you could find old, dilapidated Marine detroit diesel 16v71 engines for sale?"

Back