Logo

BaylinerAQ270 Repower options

jamie392

Contributing Member
"I have a 19' bayliner, AQ

"I have a 19' bayliner, AQ125B/270 outdrive. It is a bit slow and I have just rebuild the whole boat, new seats, new floors, new paint, and I wouldn't mind getting it a bit better. What are some good options for repower that aren't too expensive.

I've seen some newer like 95' 4cyl penta 150HP's for sale, is that going to make much difference? Will it hook into 270 outdrive easy?

I've also seen some older 350 5.7 litres, that can have a bellhousing that will work, but is it too big for that boat? I guess I will need to make some mounts cause that engine can't just hang like the volvo one right?

Any other suggestions, I don't want to spend too too much but I have put all this money into this boat and it added up so quick that now I want to get the most out of it. I love wakeboarding and am not great but use it for that alot....

Thanks a ton, you guys have so much good info"

"I was just reading up and peo

"I was just reading up and people with the same 120HP inboard on an 85 Capri are getting 40MPH. I am getting 25-28. Could the outdrive be slipping? It sounds fine and has never given me problems. The prop is new... It is a 14*15, but last year I ran a 14*21 and it wasnt that much faster and really bogged the engine down.... I couldn't see a 17 or 19 pitch giving me another 8-10 MPH or could it.

Do you guys think this is the prop, or outdrive slipping, or maybe just the engine being weak, but it runs great. If I can get this engine going to even 35 I am very happy.... Any advice? Would a 2 barrel carb, or double carb system add a lot?

Thanka again!!! I'm somewhat new to boating but spend the last year completely redoing this boat..."

Doubt that 120HP would push a

Doubt that 120HP would push a 19 ft boat at 40 mph unless hull was very light and essentially flat bottomed. When I had a Volvo 120HP on an 18 ft deep V... 30 mph was tops...

"yes the pitch makes that much

"yes the pitch makes that much difference. I have a 19ft '85 bayliner capri bowrider with a 130hp I/O volvo penta, maybe we have the same rigs jamie???But i used to have a 17 pitch prop and I could 40mph but ever sinced I changed to a 15 I can only get 32 tops!!!I took all the seats out because i use mine for fishing so i think thats why i get a couple mph faster with a 15 pitch. but there's nothing wrong with your outdrive, If you want more speed I would go with a 17 pitch.

PS the reason i went down to a 15 pitch is so i can troll at slower speeds. the 17 pitch is perfect for speed!!!"

"Thanks kevin, that is pretty

"Thanks kevin, that is pretty much the boat as mine, 19.5' 1985 capri bowrider... Do you think 19 pitch is too much for this boat? I was going to order a 19 because the 15 seems to rev really high, and I think the older 21 that the last owner had on there would rev at about 4100 so I thought 19 might be the sweet spot...

Thanks again"

I cant tell ya if a 19 is too

I cant tell ya if a 19 is too much or not because ive never tried it. but all i know is you cant go wrong with a 17

PS. just changed the circulation pump today because i think a bearing went out and it was leaking. saved 250 dollars by buying an automotive pump for a volvo 240 engine LOL. it didnt quite match the heat exchange but i MADE it work and I think its better than the way it was manufactured!!!

"awesome! Do you have any pict

"awesome! Do you have any pictures of how you made it match. Something near my waterpump is leaking, i think it is a seal but maybe it is the pump...."

Back