Logo

Motor Wonbt start or idle after it warms up

shekinah5678

"I have A 1992 Crownline with

"I have A 1992 Crownline with the 4.3LX Mercruiser. I have replaced the motor after it froze two winters ago. The motor seems to run good when I start it on the hose. It starts and runs good at the dock and goes for a while. Went up and down the lake several times. Then put the motor in nuetral and could not get to idle very well. Would have to give it more gas to keep it running. After it dies I can't get it to restart. Boat has left me stranded, waiting for a tow twice. It has fresh gas and Im using the electric fuel pump. Just changed the oil and filter, oil level is fine. Timing is set at 8 BTDC. The motor had a mechanical fuel pump but I replaced it with an electric one. I didn't have the correct metal fuel line so I had to use about 3 inches of rubber line. The local boat shop told me that would work. Does anyone have any ideas?"

"fuel tank vent open? fuel fee

"fuel tank vent open? fuel feed in the tank could have a hairball, fuel pump pressure, verify not to low and check volume"

I have a 89 alpha one with the

I have a 89 alpha one with the same problem...

But it was just purchased from my in-laws...and it shouldn't have any problems...it sat for 2 yrs in a RV pad..

I am off to go re-check the filters. How would I test the pump pressure?? Where is the fuel tank vent?? could low oil pressure at cold startup have anything to do with it?

"I will check the fuel pump,ta

"I will check the fuel pump,tank,and check for water. Would the boat run for over an hour before these types of problems became evident? Granted It was with the throttle open for most of that time."

"I went out to tinker with it

"I went out to tinker with it today, but I couldn't find a fuel filter ANYWHERE!

The line comes in from the filler and into the hull and then dissapears under the floor, comes back out and goes directly into the carb??!!?"

I checked the fuel filter and

I checked the fuel filter and fuel pump. Also checked fuel pressure all is good there. I pulled the plugs which are brand new this year. They look very black. There is also a strong smell of fuel in the exhaust. The motor is definately running rich. I think the plugs just fouled out after running for a while and caused it to run poorly and then not at all. I think the carb must need replaced or at least rebuilt. Before I dump so much money in it I was wandering what others have to say?

Back