Logo

Power Trim Fluidoscillating click

mdye

"I have a 1998 Sea Ray, 3.0 LX

"I have a 1998 Sea Ray, 3.0 LX Alpha One. After running the engine at 30 mph for about 10 minutes an oscillating click begins and gets louder. When I slow it down the noise goes away but starts again when engine goes 30 mph. There is water in the Power trim fluid and it was low, I put oil in it, but the noise is still there. The noise is definitely coming from behind the motor, the motor is fine, I just had new head gasket and carburater cleaned. What's wrong? And, I am having people over this weekend, is it in danger if I run it and pull skiers? Thanks. M Dye"

A few questions..
Is it separ

A few questions..
Is it separate electric/hyfraulic/automatic trim?
Is Click noise rapid/slow and vary with engine speed?
Any noise at low speed when turning hard?
Any other details on noise type / location would help

"Manual says "Power Trim&#

"Manual says "Power Trim" I am assuming this is electric, I believe this is so.
The click noise is rapid at 30 mph and varies slightly as I lower speed to say 25. No noise going slow like 10 mph. No noise turning hard at low speed. Boat turns just great. Location of noise heard most distinctly is the rear behind the battery location, battery is ok has been checked out. Noise sounds to me like metal is flying around, but on an oscillating measure.thanks so much for your help."

Does your power trim work okay

Does your power trim work okay?(its probably a separate unit mounted on the floor beside/behind engine) With no abnormal noises? Just trying to narrow down the options here. thanks

"The power trim works just per

"The power trim works just perfectly. Don't know if there are noises coming from it b/c until now I did not know where it was. However, I can tell you that my mechanic, who only works on the engine, not trim or outdrive, checked everything out and said it was not coming from the main engine and he also stuck his head up into area where battery was located and said he thought it was coming from just the very back if not the outdrive. By the way, an afterthought, at 30 mph, the noise level starts out low and intermittant, then gets louder and begins a cadense about it until it is just an all out racket, but then subsides as I bring the mph down. I can go out and verify no noise, if any, from the power trim tomorrow now that I know where it is, if you want me to do that. Thanks M"

Don't think it has to do w

Don't think it has to do with the trim. Is your prop okay? ie damaged. sounds more like an outdrive issue. ie; u joints/bearings/gears? Gotta run now good luck

""There is water in the Po

""There is water in the Power trim fluid and it was low"

That issue needs to be corrected; probable cylinder seal or hyd. hose connection leaking.

"the noise level starts out low and intermittant, then gets louder and begins a cadense about it until it is just an all out racket, but then subsides as I bring the mph down"

I would have the mech. look at the area of the engine coupler; there may be some trash stuck on the exposed coupler shaft that would mimic the noise you describe.

If that is all OK then the OD will need to be examined for the noise generator before it damages expensive parts."

"Thank you so much, I can get

"Thank you so much, I can get the engine coupler looked at asap, the boat is in a fresh water lake and it is always getting torpedo grass in and about it so this sounds very logical. Shall have the boat pulled for the power trim fluid situation. Again, thank you so much. Marilyn"

Back