Logo

Engine Problem

luckycharms

"I have a AQ231A Dp 290 outdri

"I have a AQ231A Dp 290 outdrive with a after install chevy 350 300hp motor. I just bought the boat this year and it ran great all year till last week. At the end of a great day of fun . I went to turn it on to head back to dock and the motor was locked up. Had to get a tow. I checked the oil and the oil was 1 inch over full. Took the plugs out and fired it over. Water shot out from what I can see was all cycl. I changed the oil new filter. On the oil change i got a true 1/2 gallon of water out. After the first oil change it fired over. Ran it in marina for a few days off and on no more then 10 minutes. I changed oil again this time the oil was light brown . New oil looks good doesnt seem to be getting higher on the dip stick and the color or feel of it looks good. Now the questions ... Are there shutter flaps in the exhaust tubes or the elbows to think one malfun. and let water back into motor. 2. I was trying to gas it and having a hard time bringing the bow down and noticed that I was almost at full throttle, so I backed down on throttle hard and levelved boat off . Do you think this would cause water to shoot back up the exaust tubes. I ran the boat yesterday in the marina at around 2000rpm for ten minutes and all seems fine. Temp looked good and oil pressure was good as well. Oil looked good. Any advice or opinions are great. I want to take the boat out and see what happens. It sucks being stranded on water hell of alot different from being on the side of a road."

"The 290 and the 280 either ha

"The 290 and the 280 either have a flapper in the lower gear unit or in the exhaust bellows.

Have you considered a cracked manifold or a cracked head? You don't get 1/2 gallon of water in the crankcase so easily. Also, do you have an oil cooler installed on your engine? If you do and a tube is perforated, you coud get water in the oil (and oi in the water)."

I would lean towards bad manif

I would lean towards bad manifolds if water shot out of the cylinders while cranking with plugs out.

Will

Back