Logo

671 Detroit Marine new clueless owner %3cIMG SRC%3d%22httpwwwmarineenginecomdiscuscliparthappygif%22 ALT%3d%22%22 BORDER%3d0%3e

L

Laurie Lee

"I have just become the proud

"I have just become the proud (hope so) owner of a 44' trawler with a single engine, 671 Detroit with twin turbo. I know nothing about it, ie, oil quantities, hp rating, and have heard that these engines are bad for runaway. Can anyone tell me where to find the model number and let me know if I should be concerned about my trawler not stopping until it runs out of fuel! Help!! Thanks, Laurie"

"Well, I thought I was sure bu

"Well, I thought I was sure but not anymore! It definately has twin turbo, how can I tell for sure what the engine size is - I have no paperwork on the engine,I know that the engine was changed about 7 or 8 years ago and rebuilt approx. 5 years ago (I hear from rumor)It runs great, no smoke and plenty of power. I bought it off a mooring and have been told it sat for two years since owner passed. A lot of work to get it running, but I have made it that far only. Thanks for your response. I am really desperate! Thanks, Laurie"

"Sure, I will take some this w

"Sure, I will take some this weekend and post them for you to look at. Thanks again..."

Yes it can very well "runa

Yes it can very well "runaway" if the injectors and the rail are not ajusted right.

hope that helps out.

Kevin

"Ok, I had a hard time getting

"Ok, I had a hard time getting photos to post to the discussion board, so here is a link to click on to see what I have. Hope someone can tell me what it is!!

boatengine.snapfish.com/mypoints"

"Thank you Marvin!! Is this a

"Thank you Marvin!! Is this a good engine??

Kevin, how does the adjustment of the injectors and rail cause the runaway problem?"

"Laurie

each injector has m

"Laurie

each injector has mechanical ball and clevise that runs from the injector to the rail,(this is where the throttle arms hook up)then if each on the rail is not adjusted the same or if one is tight and binding this could put a bind on the rail causing it to hang: it could then hang up when the throttle is open all the way or at half.....or three quarters

What happens is since it is a two stroke, if the throttle does not return and the engine says at a high rpm it builds a lot heat because its stuck open- the engine starts sucking oil from the oil pan and burning it like it was fuel......The oil is sucked right through the cyl. liners where the cyl. receives the incoming air from the blower or tubro........

Thus resulting in a run away engine. DeFacto

The rail and injectors are all mechanical not electronic.

It is your Mechanic(s)responsibility to make sure they are right. I would make sure you had a qualified diesel mechanic which has significant experience.

If it ever "runs away" it is not a fuel problem but a mechanical problem.....sure hope this all helps.

Kevin"

L.

I just looked at your pi

L.

I just looked at your pics.. Looks like it is or has been well maintained. This is a good engine over all. This engine was used in buses too in the cities all over the great USA...

K

"Thanks for the info...a coupl

"Thanks for the info...a couple more questions for you...I need to get an O&M Manual, can anyone point me in the right direction? And without that, can you tell me the oil quantity and possibly filter numbers?? Or are these possible after-market??

Is there a way to stop a runaway before it ruins the engine????"

"The way to stop a runaway is

"The way to stop a runaway is to cut off the engine's air supply, as it can't run without air."

Im thinking of buying a 1990 T

Im thinking of buying a 1990 Trojan with twin 671TI Detroit Diesels with 1100 hours on them. Can someone give me some feedback about these engines.

"Don,

If they have been mai

"Don,

If they have been maintained they have a very long life left. That said, they are very re-buildable.

They tend to be a littel drippy here and there and I am chasing small drips but these things are reliable and close to bullet-proof.

Modern 4 strokes are lighter and more fuel efficient but I can tell you that my performance in my 1990 38 Viking is similar to a friend with a 2003 40 Riviera with Volvos.

Get a good engine survey by someone familiar with Detroits and check the maintenance records as there is maintenance to be done at 500 hour intervals.

Good luck."

"Laurie, your 6V-53 has an oil

"Laurie, your 6V-53 has an oil capacity of 16 quarts. It uses the oil filter:

AC Delco PF911L...which cross references to:
Fram PH3612
Wix 51970XE"

Back