Logo

Yamaha 150 2stroke bogs down at high speed

T

Trailer Queen

"After I run engine for about

"After I run engine for about 40 minutes, engine will suddenly bog down if at high speed like it is going to shutoff. When I pull back to idle or idle speed, it runs fine.
Any ideas on possible problem?"

I have an 07 115 that sounds k

I have an 07 115 that sounds kind of similar to yours. I can make my first run however far I want but after I stop the motor and fish for awhile I have a hard time getting going again. had the boat in to be checked 3 times now still not fixed. Back in the shop right now. I am being told from yamaha directly and my dealer that the problem is the ethanol in the gas. Has anyone else heard of this?

"I am hearing that ethanol is

"I am hearing that ethanol is root of most fuel system problems. Eats old fuel lines, clogs fuel filter with gunk. Im betting this is the issue. My yamaha that bogs is a 96 150 hp 2stroke"

"I have twin 1996, 150 Yamaha

"I have twin 1996, 150 Yamaha 2 stroke Outboards with the port motor having exactly the same problem. After 30 - 40 minutes same bog down condition. Idles fine and can run rpm's up if not in gear. Condition only present under load.This problem is not present in starboard motor so probably not ethanol fuel. I'm thinking fuel pump or coil."

"The fuel lines on a 96 are sa

"The fuel lines on a 96 are safe from ethanol, but the ethanol does absorb lots of water, gets old in two weeks and can cause you fuel issues.

You should be running a water separating filter and stablizer in the gas all the time (and keep spare filters on board).

But treating your gas is the preventative step after you have done your troubleshooting - you both may have multiple issues..."

"Fuel lines safe is good news,

"Fuel lines safe is good news, why not damaged by ethanol? Running 10 micron water separating filters and stabilizer. Brand new filters on now, with same problem late last year with last year's filters. Do you know if the fuel pump diaphragm is made out of ethanol resistant material? Motors (12) years old and have had no problems until now. I guess moving parts will have to wear out at some point."

"Yes, most of the rubber used

"Yes, most of the rubber used after the late 70's is fairly resistant - todays gas does cause significant gumming problems however.

Even with the stablizer, filters etc I try never to run gas more than a few DAYS old.

Most Mfg's recommend now that you only put enough in the tank for your immediate use and even stablized, seal everything up tight (including airtight fittings over gas vents/caps etc) when not in use to keep the cooties out...

My youngest motor is 17, my other 3 are 21/21 and 22 years old - original gas lines, fuel pump diaphrams etc and zero "degredation" due to the gas and have never had a clogged carb - total run time between them in excess of 5000 hours -but always run stablized and whatever is left over after the weekend etc goes right into my pick-up - it doesn't seem to mind the 50:1 - especially after it's diluted by whatever else is in the tank.

Every outing the gas is only a few hours old in the boat...

But I am also super vigalent about storing them properly - "winterize" them completely if I don't expect to use any particular one of them for 2 weeks or longer and bring them back in the spring with a decarb, new plugs, filters, gear oil etc and flush them anytime they are run in dirty/gritty water..."

ringfree with seafoam or PGI-R

ringfree with seafoam or PGI-R is what i tell customers to run
i hae seen the red stabil gell with e-10!
hence the reason the new marine stabil!!!!

yep comes down to usagage!!

rubber does not dry up if it is wet!

"1986 Yam Pro V Idles the coug

"1986 Yam Pro V Idles the coughs then dies.
Runs great above 1250 rpms.
Tried to adjust cough out through carbs did not work, any Ideas?"

"Ya, carbs need cleaning - low

"Ya, carbs need cleaning - low speed (idle) jets are most likely gummed on you..."

Back