Logo

Trim position sensor

kevgrn114

"So , now that I have a small

"So , now that I have a small break in between large failures I've turned my attention to the trim position sensor.
I noticed that when I turned the key to the on position that the trim gauge moves up just a tad.
I then removed the trim sending sensor and checked for voltage at the tips of the wires and read 8.43 volts.
I took apart the sending unit and made sure it hade good connections inside and that the resistance changed as it turned.
Once I put teh unit back together then, turned it, the gauge started reading a little better. I cannot get the gauge into the green but it does go about halfway between the top reading and the start of the green area.

So, I'm guessing maybe a new sending unit would do the trick? or could it be the gauge still?"

"Kevin:

Cleaning Trim Limit

"Kevin:

Cleaning Trim Limit Switch & Trim Position Sender

For the trim/tilt problem you are experiencing, if the wires from the limit switch (port side) and trim position sender (starboard side) are in good condition, they (Switch or sender) can be disassembled to clean out the old hardened grease. SCRIBE the sides of each one and the OD for a reference mark before removal. Clean out the old grease and pump fresh Mercruiser 2-4-C grease thru the zerk fittings before reinstallation. Clean the small brass contact points and surface area with solvent and a pencil eraser until shiny; repack w/ 2-4-C grease and reinstall by aligning reference marks.

I sometimes increase the contact tension by bending them."

"Well, that helped, I took it

"Well, that helped, I took it apart and cleaned it and noticed that I could not get it to go to the bottom of teh scale while the adjusting bolts were in. I took out the bolts and moved the hex nut on the motor side one more position back and now it went to the down position with the adjusting bolts in.
Lifted the motor and the gauge works, up and down.
Thanks for the help!!!

ok, bring on the next problem!
happy.gif
"

"oh, I know! I havent had this

"oh, I know! I havent had this one out yet without coming back with some sort of repair needing done. I just bough it in April.
happy.gif
This is my first motor boat, sailing has always been my passion, but they have the same amount of repairs it seems.
happy.gif
"

Back