Logo

AQ131D Fresh water circulating pump

B

Ben Wilson

"This question may have been a

"This question may have been answered, but I can't find it in a search.

My freshwater pump's bearings are making noise. I found the part number on Volvo Penta's site and searched on some Volvo automotive parts sites. I found pumps with the exact same part number for a third of the price Volvo is asking. If the part numbers are the same, why the difference in price? and what would be wrong with using the pump from one of the automotive parts sites?

Cheers,
Ben"

"Congratulations!!! You have o

"Congratulations!!! You have one of the Volvo Penta OHC engines that can use an automotive pump. Others are not so lucky, and they have to buy the VP original pumps at exhorbitant prices.

Regarding the difference in price, you will have to ask Volvo Penta. But somehow, I believe they think that once you have purchased a Volvo Penta engine and outdrive that gives them the right to bleed you to death for as long as you own them."

"I may not be so lucky as we t

"I may not be so lucky as we think! The pumps I'm finding all have a dime size hole on the backside of the pump at the outlet hose bib.
angry.gif
The pump I'm replacing has a threaded plug in this hole. All of the new automotive pumps, even the one with the same part number as listed on Penta's web site all have this hole with no threads. Can I use a freeze plug to plug this hole? Or could this be the $200 difference from Penta? A hole already plugged? {I was already making plans for that $200
uhoh.gif
}"

Back