Logo

270 stuck sterndrive pins

"I am removing my AQ125-270 st

"I am removing my AQ125-270 sterndrive and have everything disconnected but the suspension fork support pins. The manual says turn the steering yoke to one side then 'drive them out' , but does not say exactly how. It's not possible to get a straight on blow even with the steering yoke turned.

Anyone have any suggestions on how best to unstick these pins?

I am starting to wonder if this drive was used in salt water, there's some decent bit of corrosion. The big screwdriver type slots won't turn at all."

"One suggestion: drive the pin

"One suggestion: drive the pins <u><font color=""0000ff"">in</font></u> towards the bellows. It works, and that will save you a lot of grief. But before, please do not forget to remove the allen head screws securing the pins to the transom shield."

"Thanks for your reply. Cool,

"Thanks for your reply. Cool, will try that...didn't think they could go that way.

The locking screws were removed way in the beginning, no worries.

One thing that does concern me...I checked the oil level before starting all this and there's not much of any level. Hope that it was drained on purpose before I bought it.
Not ran out."

"E.P. beat me to it. Yes, driv

"E.P. beat me to it. Yes, drive them INWARD.
You can get a good swing on your big hammer that way.
Use a big brass drift pin just a little smaller diameter than the stainless dowels (I had to grind a taper on a larger one so it would fit properly) Apply a little heat if they don't want to move. But with a big enough maul and a big brass drift--they should come out easy enough."

"These things are corrosion lo

"These things are corrosion locked or something on the outside and won't budge.

Where can I get these brass punches/drift pins you mentioned locally? Do auto stores or such as Home Depot carry them? I see a bunch on ebay, but need them sooner. Need a bigger mallet too I guess.
"

"Robert,

I'm enclosing

"Robert,

I'm enclosing a copy of a photo I pulled off the internet. It's a set of 3 Brass Drift Pins. The photo may be small but you can always do a search for "Brass Drift Pin" on the net to see all kinds of them.

Most good auto parts stores will have them in stock. Home Depot? Maybe...dunno.

Get a BIG hammer to make the job easier--something like a mini-sledge hammer with about a 2-4 lb head (1 to 2 kilos for you metric folks). Watch your fingers!
angry.gif

If you're hitting it with a little finish hammer that may not do the job.

Make sure you've got those locking bolts out and if necessary add a little heat to the cast aluminum area AROUND and near the pins.

A couple good wacks and they should be persuaded to give up and come out!
biggrin.gif
214813.gif
"

"Thanks for that. I'll cal

"Thanks for that. I'll call around tomorrow and see what I can find. Sears may have them. The locking pins are out of course, I just think the metals have bonded inside that same pin zone and around the outside as well. I think the bigger mallet will do the trick."

"And applying [b]<u><font colo

"And applying <u><font color=""0000ff"">a bit</font></u> of heat (not too much) in the area of the locking pins will also help if they are seized."

"I would not use heat in that

"I would not use heat in that quantity.

Didn't help, cooled too fast, only hammer whacking using that socket method worked (and a rod I had), didn't have $20 to $40 to spend on brass drifts. Bigger hammer would have halved the time.

They are both out (neighbors probably saying "Quiet, finally") and now...

The @$%@ U-joints are stuck...won't release..that is, slide out. Shift cable is loose ready to slide out..but the u-joints won't budge yet.

Rusted in place I guess? That bellows had holes for a long time, sat outside I reckon.

Any suggestions? Does this thing have to be perfect 100 percent horizontal before they will slide out? And if otherwise rusted-stuck..then what?

I begin to think this boat will make a great freshwater reef. ;)

Anyhow pins are out, now a stuck other thing. Whattaworld."

"Nah, I'm still stuck. Ste

"Nah, I'm still stuck. Sterndrive still sitting there, stuck. Can't get to the circlips to get any of the spiders out, not much room to work, and the thing won't budge otherwise. Not sure what to do. I haven't gotten anything done since, as I can't pull the engine with the works attached to it like this.
I've thought about just taking a hacksaw to the works, then buying a new joint on ebay or elsewhere after. I figure 1/2 hour cutting per day, I'll be through it all in a week.
"

"Re: "can't get to cir

"Re: "can't get to circlips"... Never had this problem before so I'm just speculating here but..
Did you try removing exhaust boot and water hose, cutting the drive bellows off and drive tipped all the way up working from below? If you get it lined up just right you only need to get one hand in there to spring the circlip?????
Or maybe with boot cut off and helmet off from the top??? Just throwing out ideas here.

Or.... with boot off, slide a steel rod ( length of rebar) in so that its against the yoke on the engine side and give it some wacks with a small sledge. It (yoke) runs on a spline and its unlikely that it got stick at the foremost extent of its "run". You will probably brinnel the bearings in the intermediate housing doing this but if that area is rusted, yoke to drive spline, bearing probably toast anyhow."

"No need for hacksaws. <[img]"

"No need for hacksaws.
biggrin.gif

If the u-joint is stuck and you cannot remove the spiders, then remove the 4 Allen bolts (part 38) then you separate the clamping ring (37) and the input gear from the rest of the outdrive. Then you can remove the Allen screw 35 and leave the u-joint assembly attached to the bellhousing (input shaft). If you pull the engine, it will all come out together. Then, remove the bellhousing from the engine and try to remove the u-joint yoke from the input shaft.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/UPPER_GEAR_UNIT_AQ270/dm/cart_id.220807850--list_ time.1222039954--session_id.109960735--view_id.325849"

"Thanks for those tips RAF and

"Thanks for those tips RAF and EP. Between this and finding that there's no oil tube, just a bolt in the hole there...ay! Got stalled out in my work. Hope there's oil in the engine, that they didn't run it like a maintenance free battery or something.
rain.gif
Would be a bummer.
wink.gif
"

Back