Logo

5hp 2stroke maintenance

quinn

"I have a 5yr old 5hp 2stoke a

"I have a 5yr old 5hp 2stoke and I was just wondering what kind of maintenance can be done to make it run better. I've only done the common sense stuff like spark plugs, changed the oil in the lower unit. Are there any adjustments that can be made? It starts on the first pull but only with the choke closed. It dies as soon as you open it, whether the engine is warm or cold."

"I guess it wasn't as old

"I guess it wasn't as old as I thought
happy.gif
"

"Also Tohatsu Guru, what is th

"Also Tohatsu Guru, what is the maximum hp conversion carburator can I put on this model? Is it as simple as just changing out to a 6 or 8hp carb and that's it?"

"Carb kits are available for y

"Carb kits are available for your model engine, however, they are rearely needed. The carb just needs to be cleaned in the correct manor. Your engine will forever be a 5 as that is what it is."

"Any instructions on how to cl

"Any instructions on how to clean it, has someone posted a diy or a page from the manual? I found this http://seaweed.thebilge.com/tohatsucarbrebuild.htm

I know someone will say go out and buy a manual, but I really don't want to if it's just to clean the carb. It might be handy to own a manual for other reasons but I'm only concerned with cleaning the carb for now. Thanks"

""I know someone will say

""I know someone will say go out and buy a manual"

Wait for it....Wait for it....

Borrow a manual
There is no substitute for a visual guide with clear cut directions."

Back