Logo

New Boat Owner with Model 488 questions

mcdiver50

"I'm new to the site and t

"I'm new to the site and to boating. I have a Wellcraft 180 elite with a mercruiser 488. My uncle had the motor running last year. Since his passing, the boat has not been started. I changed the oil and filter, added powersteering fluid and a new battery. I cant get the motor to turn over. It has gas but it will not turn over. Any help or tips will be great appreicated. Also any info on the boat or the motor would help alot. Good motor? Common problems? Things I should check for? I can't find much on the net.
happy.gif
"

"Look thru the threads for 170

"Look thru the threads for 170 and 470 engines. The 488 is the same base engine but has 188 HP w/a 4BBL carb, I think.

Follow Kurt's test procedures. Also pull the spark plugs to see if they are fouled; replace for a few bucks."

"Changed the new points in the

"Changed the new points in the distributer, new sparkplugs, coil and checked the carb. Still no fire. Is there anything else I should check? Pushed in the circuit breader reset. Didn't move much, but still no spark."

Check to see if there is 12V a

Check to see if there is 12V across the ignition coil when the key is in the ON position...if not there's an electrical problem..

Emergency kill switch okay? I

Emergency kill switch okay? I don't know what ya mean Ken R. I've never had it in the water or started it. It's in the run position. Should I be checking something else on it?

"Did you install a new condens

"Did you install a new condenser? Set the timing to specs? Make sure there is voltage to the positive side of the coil. If there is about 6 volts and it won't start or fire, disconnect the tach. wire from the negative side of the coil and try to start it."

Back