Logo

F250 high pressure fuel pump failure unknown black particles

scmharvey

"The high pressure fuel pump o

"The high pressure fuel pump on my 2007 Yamaha F250 failed at 51 hours of operation. During the warranty replacement, the technician reported finding the fuel in the vapor separating unit blackened with very fine particles and small flake-like "shavings", possibly looking like corroded metal. I was given a sample of this fuel and poured it through a coffee filter. None of these particles passed through the coffee filter. The entire fuel system from boat tank to vapor separating unit was checked and no other trace of these black particles were found. There is a Yamaha 10-micron filter between the tank and the motor. Only "marine grade", 89-octane, E-10 fuel has been used. The fuel has been judged as clean with very little water recovered from emptying the 10-micron filter.

I have heard anecdotal accounts of similar fuel pump failures with low operating hours. However, no one to date has provided an explanation of the presence of these black particles. The motor is running once again. I want to avoid another fuel pump failure. Does anyone know what these particles may be? Could they have the cause or possibly the result of the fuel pump failure? Are there some preventative maintenance procedures that may minimize the chance of a future fuel pump failure
question.gif
"

"Note that the boat is a 2007

"Note that the boat is a 2007 Sailfish (Seminole Marine) and is fitted with proper fuel lines. Note also that no particles or any other abnormal fuel issues were found in any other places, including the viewable cup in the water separating assembly. There may be some other part within the Yamaha F250 fuel path that may have been compromised by the E-10 fuel. Note also that other similar Sailfish/Yamaha boats in my area have not experienced this problem. Still a mystery
question.gif
"

"I believe that I now have an

"I believe that I now have an answer to the mysterious black particles found in the VST after the high pressure fuel pump failed. I understand that the most common cause of fuel pump failure is overheating. It appears that when my fuel pump overheated (for reasons still unknown), some of the molded encapsulating material disintegrated and wound up in the VST and only in the VST. I assume that, unfortunately, my original fuel pump had some manufacturing defect that resulted in the early failure. I am hoping that my replacement fuel will have a much longer operating life."

"As a checkup after 15 hours o

"As a checkup after 15 hours of operation on the replacement fuel pump, the Yamaha technician drained some fuel from the VST. The sample was clear (i.e. no particles) and there was no trace of water in the fuel either."

Back