Logo

Can you buy a better throttleshifter

"I guess throttle is the more

"I guess throttle is the more accurate term.
Anyway, the one on my 86 Bayliner does not have a stop on it or anything to tell me when I have hit WOT. So it seems like you can force it and either bend or break something, so I really am afraid to lean on it. Is there something out there that you can recommend vs. the flimsy piece of junk that is on this boat, or do I need to just get a new flimsy piece of junk? I would like something that feels stronger, that has a definite stop point on it.

86 bayliner AQ225E if that helps."

"Normaly the throttle stop &#3

"Normaly the throttle stop "function" is provided at the carb, not in the control head. With most engine/throttle setups, there is a definite stop point. Yes, if you force it enough, you can probably get something to bend at the carb. Normally the throttle function is a push cable that may have some bend or flex to it, although it is normally a solid metal rod at the point where it exits the cable sheath. Make sure that the outer housing of the cable is securely clamped to the engine, i.e. at the bracket. Have someone move the throttle forward slowly (engine off) while you are looking at the side of the carb, where the cable attaches... make sure nothing is loose,wobbly or bending."

"Robert,

Thanks for the res

"Robert,

Thanks for the response. Upon inspection, my cable drops into a notch in the bracket. When I give it throttle, it does move a little bit upward, but not a lot, and certainly not enough to make it pop out. Other than that everything looks pretty decent. There are a couple of little rubber pieces that are on the rod where the cable connects to the carb. They are just floating around and look torn off. I don't think it's affecting anything."

Those little rubber pieces are

Those little rubber pieces are probably the rubber boot seals that are supposed to keep water and junk out of the cable sheath...not usually an issue if torn up.

Back