Logo

Broken Sea Water Pump

ccr

"I have a AQ-125A Volvo Penta.

"I have a AQ-125A Volvo Penta. I replaced the Crosspiece and Compression Flange, put back together and the engine seem to run good. Had the boat on the water, running great, staying cool 180 - 200 degrees for about 5 hours. While ideling to hook up ropes, heard a squeel, I thought ropes got caught in prop until smoke from engine starting to come out. Quickly turned the motor off and removed engine cover and found it was steam not smoke. Looked further and saw the impeller shaft sticking out of the sea water pump. Checked temp gauge which was pegged, the engine still cranks over, but I did not try to start it, the impeller itself is still in good condition. Has anybody ever seen this happen before? Please help wondering why this happened. Could my engine be "TOAST"? I took pictures of the part, if you want to see them I was unable to upload on this site, but if you email me below I can email pictures back to you.

CCR"

"When you said the "impell

"When you said the "impeller shaft (was) sticking out of the sea water pump" do you mean that the brass cover came loose and the shaft/impeller worked their way out? OR, are you saying the impeller shaft broke a hole in the brass cover and was sticking out? I have no idea how the latter could happen.

On the second point--overheating--if you shut the motor down as soon as you heard that noise I don't think you'll have any engine damage. That's assuming you had a good motor, proper oil level, and it was cooling properly right up to that time-- before the "squeel". You will know as soon as you get a replacement pump and run it.

By the way. You can get replacement "raw water" pumps on eBay for $150 (the look new but are probably rebuilt, not sure)--at least they've had them last time I looked a week or so back."

"hope you got the pictures. th

"hope you got the pictures. the shaft went through the sea water pump cap. The shaft moves freely in and out, the only thing i can think of that happend is in time, 20 years or so, that it wore thuogh the cap?? you can see the round disk that was the last bite of the end of the cap. as far as the engin it was running very well and all fluid levels were all good. thanks for the ebay idea. have anyother ideas? thanks again for the reply"

"Chris,

I'm posting two

"Chris,

I'm posting two of the photos so others can see this pump. I HAVE NO IDEA how it happened--that's weird. I can say with certainty that you need another pump.

214628.jpg

214629.jpg

As I mentioned before. I'd go to eBay and pick up one of those pumps for $150. You'll know soon enough if the motor is okay."

"I am having this happen to me

"I am having this happen to me also .At the present it has not worn all the way through and I just got a plastic coke bottle lid and silastic and glued it in position(for a qick fix)its lasted a year so far.You could probally manufacure or get a brass cap or somrthing like that and glue it in posistion because there does not seem to be to much forward pressure to push my coke top off.Not the ideal mechanical way to go about it,but it works!!"

The pictures look as if there

The pictures look as if there are no screws/bolts holding the cap on... Is this so????

"The screws & bolts were h

"The screws & bolts were holding it on. I took it off, checked it out and put the cap back on so I could take pictures to help explain the problem a little better."

Back