Logo

Reinstalling drive

kenr07

Guys i am reinstalling an alph

Guys i am reinstalling an alpha 1 gen 2 drive after gimbal bearing u joints and bellow replacement i order the seal kit which came with a passel of orings but i don't need that many i am sure off... Is there anything to watch for reinstalling it and or is there any tricks??

"Watch out for the small plast

"Watch out for the small plastic shift cable assembly as you slide the drive back on.

Watch out for the speedometer cable and don't get it caught when you slide the drive back on.

I'm assuming that you are putting this on while the boat is on a trailer...if so, it might help to stick a floor jack under the trailer to raise the back of the boat up a little, so that the outdrive slides on at a more direct angle."

"Have fun...besides other hint

"Have fun...besides other hints re: greasing splines, confirming engine alignment, using bellows glue to hold water o ring and large o ring in place etc--- confirm shifter is in forward on both boat and out drive,,if you cannot get the unit all the way on ,you may need to turn the prop slightly as you are installing the outdrive in order to align shaft splines."

3 O-rings are for drive shaft.

3 O-rings are for drive shaft. It's easy but the
u-joint bellows ring will be fairly difficult.
Make sure groove for bellows is spotless clean.
Be sure to use bellows adheasive for boot to drive and then use some grease on the ring and drive it in like a seal. then clean front area of ring with carb cleaner etc. and glue in rubbber ring behind bellows retainer ring. I happened to have a pipe that fit ring perfectly and hammered it home. Otherwise it would be nearly impossible.

Kurt

Back