Logo

Mercruiser Alternator

B

boatingcpl

"A few weeks ago a booster bat

"A few weeks ago a booster battery was wrongly connected to the battery on one of my 454's. It managed to sizzle and smoke a little at the battery and heat up the engine wiring harness in a few spots. Now the electric choke no longer works and my voltmeter reads 12 volts instead of 13.5-14 volts. I removed the alternator and took it to an automotive electric service shop. They bench tested it and said it was fine. This past weekend I opened up the entire engine wire harness and inspected it. I found no bad spots and all wires carry continuity. Using a digital multimeter, while the engine is running, I have checked the voltage at the battery & the main alternator stud. The readings are essentially the same (12.2 volts). The red/purple (sensor) and the purple (exciter) wires that feed to the alternator read just over 12 volts each. The angle boot that slips on a frame stud extension of the alternator is delivering about 3.5 volts to the electric choke. The motor, a 1998 carbureted 454, starts and runs just fine but I am concerned at how far from home I can travel before the battery won't fire the ignition. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cure this charging problem?"

"boatingcpl
For my money I&#3

"boatingcpl
For my money I'd try a different alternator, Your measurements indicate yours isn't putting out.
Bert"

Back