Logo

Motor runs HOT when returning to ldle

searay123

Contributing Member
I was running boat 1998 260 /

I was running boat 1998 260 / With 1986 alpa one pulling tube behind boat . motor ran cool 150 . Stoped at idle boat ran 170 then cooled down . Any sugestions . I recently had cleaned out barnicles behind the screen seems all clear .

thermostat stuck partially ope

thermostat stuck partially open? (Residual heat build up with low coolant flow at idle)

"Do you have a T'stat inst

"Do you have a T'stat installed at all?
The temp should run up to 170 or so, and basically stay quite stable there.

Rod"

yes T-sat is install . Yet not

yes T-sat is install . Yet not new not new this year . So your saying should get hot up upto 170 then cool down Not really a issue ? I was thinking engine should stay cool 150-160 . 170 not to hot . Hate to kill my motor

I wouldn't get concerned u

I wouldn't get concerned until the 200 mark. no damage will occur until 250+. As ken stated it's more than likely residule heat from hard run then lower flow level when at idle. You would also usually see 200 or so after turn off due to this. (After boil due to no water flow)

Kurt

Well yes could be the hard run

Well yes could be the hard run heat . Feel better . Want to make sure its was fine . I will keep eye on lt

"Cooler is not necesarily bett

"Cooler is not necesarily better. If the engine coolant and oil does not get warm when the engine is run hard the oil will not vaporize off condensed water and other harmful dissolved gases.
Your engine should likely have a 160 or 170 degree T'stat, and that is about where the temp should run.
As stated above, an occasional rise up to 200 or so will not hurt it; but I would keep a close eye on the gauage for any deterioration that might indicate a worsening cooling condition.

Your risers should be warm to the touch, but not blistering hot. If they are really hot, you have insufficient cooling water flow.

Rod"

When did you change the OD imp

When did you change the OD impeller last? Barnacles may be inside the OD.

"well its been a few years , I

"well its been a few years , I will watch it this year and when boat is out over winter I will change"

"Bill;
If you have not change

"Bill;
If you have not changed the pump impeller within the last five years or so, you would be strongly advised to change it promptly.
If it is disintegrating chunks will come loose and can potentially become lodged in your cooling system causing restricted water flow and overheating.

Rod"

Back