Logo

Water gushing from carb

thereefpetshop

I have an 86 penta aq131a that

I have an 86 penta aq131a that started to gush water from carb. when I attempeted to restart engine. I could not get boat to speed and had back firing thru carb. shut down motor and cleaned distributer cap and tryed to restart and water gushed out. Does anyone know what would cause this.

Your timing belt has jumped on

Your timing belt has jumped one or more teeth or it is partially broken. You will likely need a new timing belt.

Because the exhaust and intake

Because the exhaust and intake valves would be closing and opening at the wrong time with respect to the piston's position; which means raw water is now being sucked into the cylinder via an open exhaust valve and pumped into the intake manifold via an open intake valve.

"Kevin, your engine is only av

"Kevin, your engine is only available with a <font color=""0000ff""><u>closed</u></font> system, then don't come raw water cooled (the aluminum heads would not last). Yes, the diagnostic is for a closed system, unless what you are getting through the carb is coolant and not raw water.

You may want to get hold of a copy of the Seloc or Clymer manuals if you have never done the job. Also, you may want to check old threads in this forum; just search for the words <font color=""0000ff"">timing</font> <font color=""ff0000"">belt</font>."

"Raw water (especially if

"Raw water (especially if salt water) is no good inside your engine, so the answer is yes. You should verifiy that the problem is a jumped timing belt, then replace the belt and run the engine ASAP to prevent corrosion. Meanwhile, if you have the boat on a trailer, you may want to remove the spark plugs, squirt some oil inside the cylinders and crank it a few turns with the spark plugs removed."

Thanks - It is on the trailer

Thanks - It is on the trailer and we are pulling the plugs now and squirting oil in now. Thank you very much for your advice and it was freshwater. Thanks again

I agree with the slipped timin

I agree with the slipped timing belt...but there shouldn't be any water to be sucked in. You either have (in addition to slipped timing belt) either a blown head gasket OR an exhaust mainfold allowing water into the exhaust chamber...cracked or corroded.

"to clarify. There should neve

"to clarify. There should never be water in the exhaust to be sucked in to the combustion chambers. There should be water AROUND them, but if there is water in them, they are leaking. My first thought however would be a blown head gasket allowing water into the cylinder. Many times this will result in hydrolocking that cylinder, but with the slipped timing belt it is being pumped out when the intake valve opens...so the belt must have slipped quite a bit. There is one other possibility. If the intake manifold is water cooled, sometime a leak in the intake manifold can cause water in a cylinder. I had this happen on a 350...cracked intake."

The boat shop called yesterday

The boat shop called yesterday and confirmed that the belt had slipped so bad that there were no teeth left on it. Heat exchanger - manifolds and head all looked good. They had told me that the pullys were rusted pretty bad so I am having all pulleys replaced (timming and v belt). Thanks again for the help.

Back