Logo

BeltsPump Squealing After Vacation

dave_schneider

"How could this be? I go on va

"How could this be? I go on vacation for ten days, come home, get in the boat and now there is a high pitched squealing from the belt area. Might even be coming from the power steering pump.
I have to take out the back seats to really get a good look at it.
I can't believe the pump or something else would go bad sitting for ten days so it has to be the belt(s).
No noise at idle, terrible noise as you increase RPM's. Anyone have any ideas on an easy process of elimination or quick belt remedies before I pull the bask seats etc..if in fact it is a belt and not something worse.
Thanks as usual."

"Well the belt dressing seemed

"Well the belt dressing seemed to help a little and the belts are all tight but the chirping/squealing is back.
Now everytime I start the engine it will squeal terribly for 30 seconds and then stop. Whats more is that RPM's will increase by 100 when the squealing stops and the engine will run smoother which leads me to believe there is a drag on the engine with this squealing.
Now I have never felt an alternator at running temperature before, but my alternator seems really hot, so hot I can barely keep a finger on it. Now I am wondering if it's the alternator but all gauges seem to be fine.But the noise does not seem to be coming from the alternator. I might need to disconnect the power steering pump, see what happens and then get the alternator out and have it tested.
I still just cannot believe something would go bad sitting at the dock but stranger things have happened. We continue on."

"Most likely alternator.
Tha

"Most likely alternator.
That rpm goes up when squeezing stops, indicates that belt is slipping on alternator and the pulses for the tach is taken from a 'w' output on the alternator.
The high temp might indicate defective bearings, or that the charge output is at maximum due to defective batteries."

Back