Logo

1997 merc 502 mpi dies and wont restart until cooled down

K

KevinW.Kimble

"Hello all
Any sugestions wou

"Hello all
Any sugestions would be appreciated
One of my MPI 502's in my 1997 Baja 322 dies after warmed up. It wont start back up until it has cooled down. I thought the only time it died was at an idle but yesterday it died on me while on a plane. If I try to restart it before it cools down it acts like it wants to start but wont. It runs perfect for the first 2 or 3 hours on the lake. I just bought the boat this year so I dont know what kind of maintanance the boat has had over the years. The only thing I have done to the motors is changed the oil, new oil filters and fuel/water filters. BAJA KEVIN"

"Hello all
Any sugestions wou

"Hello all
Any sugestions would be appreciated
One of my MPI 502's in my 1997 Baja 322 dies after warmed up. It wont start back up until it has cooled down. I thought the only time it died was at an idle but yesterday it died on me while on a plane. If I try to restart it before it cools down it acts like it wants to start but wont. It runs perfect for the first 2 or 3 hours on the lake. I just bought the boat this year so I dont know what kind of maintanance the boat has had over the years. The only thing I have done to the motors is changed the oil, new oil filters and fuel/water filters. BAJA KEVIN"

See if you are getting GOOD sp

See if you are getting GOOD spark frm the coil when it dies. The spark should jump 1/4" and be very bright w/a blue tint. Yellow spark is weak. Report back to us.

"Hello Guy
Thanks so much for

"Hello Guy
Thanks so much for the suggestion, I will check that out next weekend. This problem happens every time we take the boat out, it is very predictable as to when it will start acting up. Thanks again BAJA KEVIN"

Back