Logo

Crusader Questions strainers filters heat exchangers

rmm

Regular Contributor
"First inboard boat and have t

"First inboard boat and have twin Crusader 454s. Would someone please explain to me the proper procedure for cleaning the glass strainers? I believe you just shut the seacock, remove the wing nuts and then can open and clean. Is this correct? Do I need new gaskets or anything for the strainers? Anything to be careful of?

New to me boat, with Crusader 454s. Have Racors between tanks and engine, but on looking over engines there also appears to be small fuel filters on the motors themselves. It doesn't appear they have been changed in many years, does anybody have the right part numbers? 1988 engines.

Also what is the proper procedure for cleaning the heat exchangers?

Any other things to look for, check , replace, etc?

Thanks!"

"The glass strainer is cleaned

"The glass strainer is cleaned as you mentioned--just be sure you buy new gaskets FIRST. And watch them like a hawk after you fire the engines to be sure there are no leaks.

That tiny gas filter at the carb has cost untold engines since it's way too damn small to filter the thousands of gallons of crappy gas the marinas sell. If it was my boat, I'd first install an in line METAL filter (NAPA) before the carb, then throw out those carb filters before you burn a piston. Not even a good idea in a car that goes through a fraction of the same amount of gas.

On the exchangers, again you'll need gaskets BEFORE opening them. Then merely backflush the crud out witha hose. Also, there's a 'zinc' attached to a bolt (that looks like a drain) that should be replaced every year or so. Most never get changed!

Jeff"

Back