Logo

Boat infested with ants

russ0943

Regular Contributor
My boat is infested with ants.

My boat is infested with ants. I've been sprayn but they keep coming. They are probably in the wooden areas. Anyone know of a way to get rid of them? Its driving me insane. I might put the cover on and fog them.

"Well I did a little more rese

"Well I did a little more research and found out exactly what I've got and what I need to do.

Carpenter Ants. They are building nests in the soggy wood that came from the previous owner not covering the boat in the rain.

Treatment: Use baits, do not spray because they will seperate and create more colonies. Replace wood. Ants are active at night, set out food and follow them back to the nest. Powders can be used if a nest is located. There is often several nests. The ants can't sting but can bite (they havn't gotten me yet and i've had them all over me at one point)

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem."

Used to use a product called &

Used to use a product called "TERRO" ant bait. Had arsenic!!!!!! in honey. Worker ants took this special treat to queen ant---NO MORE ANTS!!

Bob

Did tou know -- ants can live

Did tou know -- ants can live underwater for 3 days ?

"Hey bob, that Terro liquid an

"Hey bob, that Terro liquid ant bait is insane. I put out 6 traps ($5) and went inside for about 30 minutes. Came out and the boat was swarming with millions of ants. This morning they were all gone and never showed up again. I literally can't believe it. These were the real small carpenter ants. The solid bait wouldn't work b/c it was too large for them to carry. Thanx for the rec."

I beleive that Home Depot and

I beleive that Home Depot and Lowes sell foggers for this problem (ants). Fogers ARE meant to be used IN houses so I do not know how well it will work in a boat. Good Luck

In an article I read it said n

In an article I read it said not to use foggers for carpenter ants. Unless you directly fog all of the nests then it is unaffective.

"Just as an update, the ants a

"Just as an update, the ants are still GONE! The Terro liquid ant bait did it in about 1 day."

Hmmm I wondered why my insuran

Hmmm I wondered why my insurance company covers 'insect damage' I just fig. boat spiders were a pain in the .... I never considered ants...

Back