Logo

Guage problem

zebandceri

"My 1996 Bayliner has an RPM g

"My 1996 Bayliner has an RPM guage that works about 20% of the time the rest of the time it shows 4,000 RPM when I am just above idle it also bounces around alot? My speedometer does not work at all I have heard this can be caused by a plugged whole in the stern drive? Any ideas? Thanks!"

"The ground for the distributo

"The ground for the distributor is dirty/corroded and needs cleaning. That will take care of the tach in most cases. The speedo could be clogged on the lower gear case- (look for the hole on the leading vertical edge), the line on the front of the lower gear case may be disconnected or the gauge may not have been blown out during winterization. Find the rubber hose (pretty thin) and blow air into it to see if the speedo works. If not, look on the back of the gauge and see if the hose came off."

"It grounds where it mounts to

"It grounds where it mounts to the block and with the hold-down clamp. Remove the bolt and the piece that holds the distributor in place and make sure the metal is clean, then coat it with grease. Put it back and tighten the bolt."

Back