Logo

Power trim questions

icantdo55

"I searched the forum and know

"I searched the forum and know how to flush the system. Question is the pump (SAEJ1171) runs but the drive does not move at all. Its in the up position now. The fluid was a mix of water and oil. I would think it should still pump right? Even a water mix should still move the rams.

My question is does this sound like the problem is with the pump or the rams. I have a part boat here with a working trim and don't want to swap what I don't need to. Whats the more likely culprit, the motor or the rams?

THANKS

PS: years ago the dealer disconected the "trailler" mode on the trim so the one switch did it all, any idea what he did?

-Mike

Boat is a 19' 1995 Sea Pro with a 3.0LX Mercruiser alpha II
www.icantdo55.com"

"All you need to do to find ou

"All you need to do to find out if the cylinders move is remove the lines, one at a time, then press the trim switch. Make sure the drive is resting on something and remove the stainless pin that connects the drive and the ends of the cylinders. If there was water in them for a long time, they're probably toast. Remove the short lines first- if they're stuck, spray some PB Blaster on them and wait. You don't want to break them off. Get some flair nut wrenches if you don't already have them."

I removed the lined from below

I removed the lined from below the outdrive and with the trim switch pushed down they pump fluid. I put 2 quarts of clean oil through there and than conected them back to the rams and nothing???? So you think the rams are dead?

"Well, if you took the lines o

"Well, if you took the lines off and pushed on the cylinder ends but they didn't move, that would be my conclusion.

Why did the dealer disconnect the trailering switch? What a bozo! That's there specifically so the trim switch can't raise the drive out of the water. You would have to remove the throttle lever and the cover on the backside (plastic) so you have access to the wires. IIRC, the connectors are above the pivot and tucked into the casting. Otherwise, look behind the side panel for the wires coming out of the control."

I would disconnect the lines o

I would disconnect the lines on the cylinders. If they are not frozen you would be able to collapse the cylinder by hand. Twist them. There is water there anyway. Your trim pump may be airiated. Hope thats spelled right.

"PS: I just likes having full

"PS: I just likes having full control of the drive with out haveing to use the trailler switch. Was convient.Swaped out the trim rams with my other boat, all better. Ram 6 qts of fluid through there and its clear now. Works great! Thanks so much for all the help."

"Swaped out the trim rams with

"Swaped out the trim rams with my other boat, all better. Ram 6 qts of fluid through there and its clear now. Works great! Thanks so much for all the help.

PS: I just likes having full control of the drive with out haveing to use the trailler switch. Was convient."

Hello everyone...greetings!!

Hello everyone...greetings!! :_)) I am retired and i recently bought a 1975 V-179 Glastron to refurb..I am making progress but there's one problem. The previous owners evidently were in the middle of repairing the trim pump and solenoid and switch at the dash...Its didassembled and I have no clue as to how to put it together. Can anyone help me with someguidance here. thanks in advance for your time..good boating!!

Back