Logo

Tohatsu 6hp flooding

G

Greg Goldsmith

"I have a Tohatsu 6hp (sam

"I have a Tohatsu 6hp (same as the 5hp, and same as the Nissan or Mercury)that seems to be flooding. I removed and inspected the carb float, jets, etc. and the problems is still happening. Any advice on DIY repair here?

[email protected]"

"Id be replacing the inlet nee

"Id be replacing the inlet needle and seat, then resetting the float level."

"done exactly the same thing s

"done exactly the same thing stripped and cleaned everything,when first got motor would not rev out for good 15 minutes and when finally did cut out straight away then started first pop but kinda like choking,,so i be guessing i need to buy some bits.. Have looked at previous diagnosis and hmmm would to hear feedback if it was successful"

"Dear sir,We found that in som

"Dear sir,We found that in some cases if you replace the float bowl gasket this will fix your problem . If you replaced the needle and the carb is clean."

"I also have a Tohatsu 6 hp th

"I also have a Tohatsu 6 hp that floods after about an hours use ... after sitting a while (and with fuel line removed), she'll start again and run well on what fuel was in the lines, only to flood again when fuel line is re-connected ... anyone with a fix, please give me a yell ..."

"Sorry to hear of your problem

"Sorry to hear of your problem. Sometimes after sitting the float needle
in the carb can become cocked or gummed up and will not seal when the
carb gets full. There is a drain screw at the bottom of the bowl.
Sometimes you can loosen that screw, put a rag under the carb, and flush
the bowl with fuel from the primer bulb. Tap the carb lightly and it may
kick the needle in place. Do not tap too hard. If it has been sitting
very much, then get some fresh fuel, mix Sea Foam (available at most
auto parts stores), in the fuel. Prime the carb and then run the engine
while unhooking the fuel line and make sure it gets some of the new fuel
in the carb. Let it sit over night and it may solve your problem. If not
then the carb will have to be removed and cleaned, preferably at a
dealer , unless you are familiar with the tiny passages inside. After
you get it going, run this mix all the time and you will cut the problem
way down. Also leave the tank full and the carb full when sitting to
keep moisture from mixing with the fuel. Just be sure to disconnect the
line from the engine, but don't run dry. Hope this helps"

"I have a 2005-Tohatsu-5HP,4-c

"I have a 2005-Tohatsu-5HP,4-cycle outboard. It seems that once in a while Iam buying gas with some small amounts of water in it. Once the water gets into the carb it will not pass the low speed jet but will pass the high speed jet. Hence, the engine will not idle but runs fine at high speed. I have to take the carb off, take it all apart flush it out and blow it out and dry with a compressor. The whole process takes at least an hour-plus. This seems to happen quite a bit. Hence, is there some way to solve this problem."

Look around / ask a good shop.

Look around / ask a good shop.Maybe you should install a water seperating filter on it. Look at say on old 5.5HP johnson unit or say one from a mid 80's 18/25HP Mercury.

Back