Logo

Water flow in stern drive

russ0943

Regular Contributor
When using the earmuffs and ru

When using the earmuffs and running the engine the water barely flows out of the little pee holes on the sides. The majority of the water gushes out the upper half of the drive right inside the outer casing that is directly attached to the transom (thin metal thing that outlines the drive). Is this normal? Something tells me it isn't.

I have a 3.0L with an Alpha Gen II stern drive.

"It's not like an outboard

"It's not like an outboard. If you want to run a thin, somewhat flexible wire into the hole, go ahead but the majority is supposed to come out near the transom."

The pee hole needs to be clear

The pee hole needs to be clear for winter. Most get bad and can only be cleaned with the drive split.

"If water is coming out of the

"If water is coming out of the bellows, instead of the idle ports and/or through the prop hub, this is bad... the bellows needs to be replaced."

well i have some water coming

well i have some water coming out through the prop hub but most comes out near the transom. Can someone confirm this please -^.

"There are two holes on each s

"There are two holes on each side of the transom plate. They are towards the bottom, Say 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions. These holes are the idle ports. Exhaust/water come out of these two hole when the engine is at low RPM. When the engine revs up, exaust and water still come out of these holes, but there will be significantly more coming out through the prop hub.
There should be no water or exhaust issuing from the area where the bellows' are."

"ok, i guess i'll get to f

"ok, i guess i'll get to fixn that when i reseal everything, replace the wp, and replace the gimbal bearing....man...i've got a bunch of stuff to do
"

Back