Logo

Timing

M

Michael laws

"I need to know what the timin

"I need to know what the timing needs to be set on, on a 1973 johnson 65 hp. does anyone know or can help."

"26 Degrees BTDC. For WOT &#40

"26 Degrees BTDC. For WOT ( wide open throttle)
I have that manual....I rememeber that because i rebuilt one of those 2 summers ago. I was just looking at it today because of some ignition trouble, and i bounced past that page and checked it because i may want to reset mine. The manual is in Milwaukee and I am in Detroit for the week.
if thier is an Initial or idle BTDC setting it might be 8 degrees, but maybe someone else can help dial that In for you."

Thanks for the in info the rea

Thanks for the in info the reason I was wanting to know is my motor runs good as long as the warm leaver is up but when you put the warm leaver is down to put it in gear the motor dies. I've had some people say I need to rebuild the fuel pump and some say I need to check the timing.

"-----------------------------

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd leave the timing alone, and focus on the carburetors 1st. When this condition exists. esp when it dies or struggles with the warm lever down(off)...My fir"

I have pulled the top carb off

I have pulled the top carb off and it was as clean as a whisle. Do you think I need to check the other two carbs? Also do you think the fuel pump might have something to do with it?

"identafication info needed wi

"identafication info needed with a timing degree placementment ratio, The tag says J140TLCNB engine case cover says its an Evinrude
We flushed the carbs with defunk and replaced the plugs, runs great at idle on hose, when under pressure in the water it bogs out in gear and says stuff like the timing is out, idle is the same high in or out of water, this egine has been really good to us over the years but we want to keep it running good never knew anything about it except replace the parts and keep it running, we recently put it on another boat and think we unajusted the timing, any exsperitse to help on???
22004.jpg
"

Back