Logo

Thermostats for 292

G

Guy Strauss

"I have a '61 Ford 292 Int

"I have a '61 Ford 292 Interceptor that has never had thermostats. It appears to have housings for two of them. Are these available and if so does anyone have a part number? Also, is there a bypass system so that the exhaust manifolds get cold water no matter what? I'd hate to have a stuck 'stat ruin one of those nice water jackets."

"Hello
I just recently acquir

"Hello
I just recently acquired a 1961 ford interceptor 292, engine ID D21R17017. It has 2 carter side draft carbs. I am converting to electronic ignition, probably replace the alternator, rebuild or replace the starter, and look at rebuilding the carbs. Do you have the same carb set up on you 292?
Drop me a line sometime.
Thanks.
phillk
Ottawa, Canada"

I used 2 NAPA 160degree Stainl

I used 2 NAPA 160degree Stainless Steel ones in my 1958 272. you have to gind the outside edges down on a grinder to fit inside the housings.

JAke

"Hi to Jake & Guy,

I ha

"Hi to Jake & Guy,

I have a marine 312 "Y" block and my original thermostats gave up. I have been looking for replacements as well, however this engine calls for 143 degree rather than the 160 mentioned above. I use Pleasurcraft #RP026002E thermostats, and as Jake does, I grind the edges to fit. My water pump is the original Sherwood M10270G and not the most efficient. The biggest tip I can offer is if running fast and the engine quits, either start it back up in the first 2 seconds or wait 15 minutes to restart. If not restarted right away or not waiting, will result in either the head and/or exhaust manifold cracking. For me it was two cracked heads and one exhaust manifold before I woke up to the cold water hitting the very hot metal!!!"

Back