Logo

High oil pressure

lyle

Just purchased a new stingray

Just purchased a new stingray 220dr with a 5.0 mpi 260 hp.First day out i noticed the oil pressure was up to the max at 80 lbs when under way? Do i need to worry about this?

I trust you have the proper vi

I trust you have the proper viscosity oil in there. Did it come down after it warmed up?

The boat is new so i would ass

The boat is new so i would assume that the oil should be right from the factory.No it did not drop but i only ran the boat for about 15 minutes.

"I'd start by installing a

"I'd start by installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Chances are you have a faulty gauge or sending unit, and when bypassing them with the mechanical gauge if it reads within the normal pressure range you've narrowed the problem down to your instrumentation. Unfortunately if the mechanical gauge reads high like your current gauge then you probably have an internal engine problem. If you're anything like me, though, I like to try eliminate the simplest possibilities first. Best of luck to you."

"There's not much to it, r

"There's not much to it, really. First you'll remove your existing electrical sending unit from the engine, then install the compression fitting from the gauge kit in that hole. The hole is usually 1/8" NPT. If the hole in the engine is larger than that use the proper adaptor fitting that will also be included in the gauge kit. Next you'll connect the thin tubing from the kit to the fitting you just installed on the engine with a compression nut and a ferrule from the kit. Route the tubing to the spot where you want the gauge, leaving a little slack at the engine to allow for engine movement, so the tubing will not be pulled loose or broken. You can either permanently mount the gauge in dash or temporarily mount the gauge underneath the dash with the bracket included with the gauge. The latter would be my choice for troubleshooting. If your existing electric gauge is faulty you can remove it, then go back and mount your mechanical gauge in the existing hole in your dash. However you decide to mount the gauge, your last step is to connect the tubing to the fitting on the back of the gauge in the same manner as to the engine fitting. It really isn't as difficult as it may sound, and your gauge kit will have complete instructions with diagrams. You can find these kits at any auto parts store for $15-$20. I hope this was helpful."

From posts it seems you are sp

From posts it seems you are speaking of new oil in a new motor in a new boat??? Why are'nt you addressing questions to dealer? If it's new there's gotta be a warranty. If there's a warranty any perceived issue needs to be addressed and documented in case it turns into a BIG problem later. If there's a warranty dinkering around yourself may very well VOID IT!!

Just my opinion.

Bob

"That's an excellent idea!

"That's an excellent idea! Wish I'd have thought of it. I guess it's been a long time since I had anything new enough to have a warranty.
blush.gif
"

Back