Logo

Water in oil

pthefner

"I have a 1966 MERCRUISER 18&#

"I have a 1966 MERCRUISER 18' 120hp. It has been in storage for ten years. It dose turn over but i found water in oil!!! If head is craked, can i replace with any 4cyl chev head? Didnt check head gasket for i went to buy one and they told me i would be wasting my time and that it would be a crack in the water port? I just bought this boat for 200.00 and dont know anything about them. can any one help with suggestions?? thanks!"

"1) Buy a good shop repair

"1) Buy a good shop repair manual. The ones advertised on this website a very reputable.
2) Change the engine oil and filter.
3) Change the fuel filter/water seperator.
4) Get rid of any residual fuel in the tank and blow out the fuel lines. You'll probably have to give the carb a good cleaning and drain any old fuel out of the float bowl.
5) Change the impeller and oil in the out drive.
6) Run the engine for a little bit on the rabbit ears.
7) Check the condition of the oil after about 30 minutes of running.

In ten years, it may have just accumulated a bunch of condensation.
If it was layed up with water still in the block, chances are the block and or head is cracked.
At this point, what do you have to loose?
You may luck out and have a good running little engine."

"I had water in my oil just ch

"I had water in my oil just changed manifold and gasket, There was so much rust in my manifold its a wonder water even got throught it. Take of end covers and look, Better yet pull manifold and take off end cover put a new gasket hope this helps"

Back