Logo

30 liter problem stalling and wonbt restart

hutchusmc

"The problem is that during a

"The problem is that during a wide open throttle run, the boat will start to lose power and will die if I do not back off the throttle into an idle. I have a fuel separator and have changed it several times, but I have never changed it when it has stalled and failed to restart. When I took it out today, I changed the water separator during the run and when I took it off it was under pressure, which sounded like when you open a can of soda. I have the separator located before the fuel pump (which I have also changed). Each time the boat would start stalling, I would just release the pressure on the water separator and it would run fine for a very short period of time. I also have a problem when filling my gas tank it overflows out of the fill cap before being full (around 1\4 of a tank or so). I have checked the tank vent and it breathes fine. I have also checked the fill line and it is also free of obstruction. I have run the boat without the water separator with the same results as above. It seems like it is vapor locking the motor, only problem is that I do not where it could be happening. I have tried running the boat with the fuel cap off to see it would help, with no luck. I have also taken the pick up valve out and changed the anti-siphon valve, and I have rebuilt the carburetor. I have noticed that problem only happens after it’s down to ¾ of fuel. I think it’s the tank, but what in it - I do not know. If anyone can help and let me know if I am on the right track and if so what should I replace next? I was thinking of replacing the tank, but I don’t want to do that and find out it wasn’t the problem."

"Look on your fuel tank for a

"Look on your fuel tank for a thin hose going to the vent on the hull. If this is clogged, it'll create a vacuum in the tank as the gas is drawn to the motor. Once the vacuum can't be overcome, the fuel is cut off and the motor dies."

"Ok now I have another problem

"Ok now I have another problem I can't get the boat to start out in front of the house. I can get to start for about maybe a minute and that's if I hold it at 3000 rpm+. Then it will cut out and die. I also have flames coming out of the carburetor not all the time, but once in a while. Does anyone know what might be wrong?"

"Check the compression and the

"Check the compression and the timing. If you have a timing light, see if the timing mark is jumping around. If the boat sat for a long time, the cam and/or distributor gear may have been damaged by rust and may have missing teeth.

Just for grins, try running the motor with the gas cap removed and see if anything changes. If it runs better, you'll know that there is a problem with the venting, even though it's clear."

I have tried running the boat

I have tried running the boat with gas cap off with no better luck. I don't think it could be the distributor missing teeth cause I can sometimes get the boat to run and when it does it run great. This has been an on going problem. Any othe suggestions cause it's got me completely stumped? I don't want to take it to a shop cause they are going to start where I started and charge me all those hours of labor on stuff I already checked.

"Have you pulled the fuel line

"Have you pulled the fuel line from the tank going to the pump yet? That may be crimped or delaminating and since you said it soulds like a pop can opening when you removed the separator, this could be where the problem lies. It's the only part of the fuel system before the pump that hasn't been checked, to my knowledge. Look for the fuel line's path and see if it passes under the tank or if there's a panel resting on it."

"Put a dwell meter on to check

"Put a dwell meter on to check point gap. It should stay put when adding rpm. If the dwell is good then check timing. As well you could have a boat load of water in the fuel tank, dry gas the tank."

I took the top of the carburet

I took the top of the carburetor off and found that the rubber around the accelarotor pump was ripped. I replaced that and ran a line to another gas tank. I still have the same problem that it's real hard starting and if it does start that it has to be above 300 rpm and will still cut out. I will check the dwell as soon as I can.Anyone have any suggestions??????

Back