Logo

KAD300 Surging

rob

"Wondering if someone can help

"Wondering if someone can help with a problem that I am unable to resolve with my port KAD300 Diesel engine. The fault is when accelerating out of the water, both engines both reach 2800 rpm and the superchargers kick out as they are meant to. The port engine then drops back in revs that causes the supercharger to kick back in. The starboard engine eventualy drags the port engine over the fault. Both engines then power to 3800 rpm. However, in sloppy water I find that there is definately a power problem and sometimes cant even reach 3400rpm.

I have replaced primary and secondary filters, swaped suction fuel lines to illimate fuel tank blockages. I have even hooked up a seperate fuel tank to put to rest blockages. I have inspected for fuel leaks non apparent. Air filters clean, checked the inlet manifold which is free. After consulting with Volvo and spending $1000 I removed both computers and sent them back for a firmware upgrade that would apparently fix the problem according. Guess what, it made no difference.

I know of another boat identical to mine with the same engines that also has the same problem.

Has anyone else experianced this fault?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Rob"

"Rob, I have a pair of 2001 KA

"Rob, I have a pair of 2001 KAD44P with almost exactly the same problem. Have you had any in solving yours? Jeff."

Kad 300 surging
Rob did you f

Kad 300 surging
Rob did you fix the problem ?
I have identical symptoms -engines 350hrs
Swapping port computor to starboard to see if surging transfers.
If so will look for replacement computor

did either of you guys fix the

did either of you guys fix the problem? what did it turn out to be? I have a similar problem with my KAD300s

"Problems like described are m

"Problems like described are more common than unusual when it comes to twin-installations: one engine 'laggs'.
To really get the correct picture turbo AND exhaust pressure have to be monitored together with throtle percentage. It may be electronically controled by the computer, but the engine itself it nothing but an old diesel with some 'add-ons', and mechanical tolerances plays a big part.
So the question(s) might be:
Do You have the same turbo pressure at the same throtle% and the same exhaust-temp and even the same fuel return temp?
Same pressure, same throtle% but lower exhaust temp normally , if no mechanical dammage, means low pump setting.

For single engine installation and this phenomena occurs during season it might be as simple as fouled bottom, encreased boat wheight that brings the total tolerances just on the 'wrong' side and the engine does not manage to perform. Even a hot sunny day compared to a cold spring day might inflict as well as water temp.
Do not get lost in computers, check the 'mechanical' first.

Have the propellers been checked? 350 hrs of pushing around som tons of boat might have changed them, not visible for the eye, but perhaps if measured?"

Back