Logo

INLINETWIN 37L165 MERCI think not

beatdaboat

"Motor now runs however there

"Motor now runs however there is a problem. It was running on only 2 cylinders (1 & 2). Bought new Plugs,wires,points,condenser, rotor,coil. Starts on first try, but runs ruff. I took of the cap and rotor, put the rotor and cap back on. The motor started great, ran for around 30 seconds, rpm's got real high, the back to cylinders cut out (3&4...removed plug wires while running and engine didn't skip beat) then the engine bogged down and shut off. Started right back up and the engine ran the same on only 2 cylinders (1&2). I then cut off motor, took cap and rotor off, then put back on and started it up...all 4 cylinders were running for about 30 seconds and then repeated exactly what happened before. Could someone PLEASE help me...I am at a loss. COuld it be that the cap is bad? or maybe a voltage loss over the coil. maybe trouble in the alternator or even as extreme as valve lash? Someone please help. thanks"

"Has the distributor been loos

"Has the distributor been loosened recently and is it grounded well? Your points may need adjusting and if the dwell isn't sufficient, the coil isn't saturating enough. What about compression? Do you know for sure that you have spark on #3 & 4?"

"I agree with Jim N, are you S

"I agree with Jim N, are you SURE that you still have spark on cylinders 3&4? I have Merc 170 which is pretty much the same engine. These engines have a intake gasket problem that allows coolant to leak into the cylinders. Funny thing is that the coolant USUALLY will only leak into cylinders 3 and/or 4 OR 1 and/or 2. The coolant could be just starting to build up enought pressure to leak after 30 seconds then it makes its way into the cylinder and fouls out the plugs. If find that this is your problem follow Jim N advise and check your compression. Coolant leaking down on the cylinder WILL destroy the rings and lead to much bigger problems."

Back