Logo

Blown freeze plug

schmetke

"hey guys,
just had a mechani

"hey guys,
just had a mechanic do a pre-buy inspection on a 1989 sea ray i have been looking at with a 3.0 that wouldn't turn over. thought it was just a starter but turns out the freeze plug had blown and loged in the fly wheel. said he doesn't think the block is cracked (no water in the oil or signs of rust on the outside of the block) but won't be able to tell for sure until he breaks it down and replaces the plug. how likely is the block to have cracked? estimated cost $500 to repair said damage already done."

"I would pass on this one and

"I would pass on this one and personally, anything with a 3.0L. Not really enough power for anything other than a small boat (<17'). If you ever need to repower it and don't have a good core, the core charge is really high since so many of them have gone away over the years, according to the people at Jasper. I have worked on motors that blew out freeze plugs and still had cracked cylinder walls."

"I suppose the freeze plug cou

"I suppose the freeze plug could get into the idiotic spot to stop that motor from turning over. I would try to turn the engine over by hand and perform a leak down test in all cylinders. A fancy compression test. After he puts a freeze plug in, get him to pressure test the engine cooling system before installation, if it doesn't hold you would need an engine or repairs. It should hold 15 psi. Need to check the exhaust manifold as well. Cost you 1200 I would guess just for a Jasper rebuilt."

thanks for the reply
they rec

thanks for the reply
they recovered the plug and turned the motor and it turned just fine. the boat is just a little 16' runabout for cruising around. my main concern is finding a cracked block. they seemed to think it's ok but could give me no assurance. just wondering what everyone else thought.

wanted $2000 before finding th

wanted $2000 before finding the problem. boats in great shape. trying to figure out how a way to negotiate a good price while minimizing my risk.

"There are other boats out the

"There are other boats out there and if you add $2000 to this one, it's probably not a good price."

$2000.00 for an 89 searay on a

$2000.00 for an 89 searay on a trailer is right at retail cost. seller should come off the 500 to repair it. 2.5/3.0 for this boat will give you years of service IF PROPERLY MAINTAINED. Have the mechanic run the engine on the ground for 15-20 min prior to reinstall. $500.00 to put a freeze plug in the back of the motor is a bit steep. A blind left handed monkey missing its left arm can do it in under 2 hrs.

"The motor has Already been Fr

"The motor has Already been Frozen,.......It Blew Out the Coreplug......

I'd Run away from it......Especially considering that You Don't turn your own Wrenches........

You're looking at Several Thousand Dollars to Replace an Abused Motor.........

If you're Looking for Trouble,....... Go ahead,+ Buy it........."

Back