Logo

Marine distributors

spanky165

"Hi all! I have a boat with a

"Hi all! I have a boat with a 1980 Mercruiser 165 h.p. GM 250 c.i.d straight 6 cyl. running the factory breaker point ignition. I'd like to convert to electronic ignition with an HEI distributor from a truck that I have on hand. Could someone tell me what the major difference between marine and automotive distributors is? I understand the need to prevent sparks and I don't want to blow up my family or myself, but I can't see anything different or special about the distributor currently in the boat. The only thing I can really forsee would be the need to re-curve the timing advance on the HEI to match the Merc specs, which is no problem for me to do. Am I missing something here? I'd appreciate any assistance or opinions. Thanks."

I can't find a problem in

I can't find a problem in my mind except the obvious gasketing of the distributor cap. The recurve should be your only issue.

"I appreciate the reply. I&#3

"I appreciate the reply. I've turned wrenches on cars for a long time, but I'm learning that this marine stuff has a few subtle differences. Thanks again."

"Marine uses mechanical advanc

"Marine uses mechanical advance only. Must be recurved to compensate for no vac advance.

Check out Petronix brand electronic conversion kits. Reasonable price, simple install,ultra reliable. Can probably do a search here as they have been discussed several times. Also Google search.

Bob"

"Hey Bob! I was figuring on t

"Hey Bob! I was figuring on the re-curve. I've looked at the Pertronix conversion and it does seem the simple way to go. The HEI distributor I have laying around and was thinking cheap. Broken ankle + surgery = three months off work. Three months off work + family to feed + bills = no money for my toys. The boat runs well like it is, and I guess I can wait till I get back to work to get the Pertronix kit. Thanks."

Back