Logo

Alpha1 Gen2 water pump replacement problem

tomcal

"Have replaced water pump and

"Have replaced water pump and now have a problem mating lower unit to upper unit. Did not remove upper unit, only lower. There is about a 3/4 to 1 inch space between units. Appears drive spline is not going all the way into the upper unit.
I don't want to rotate prop ccw for fear of reversing pump impeller vanes. Have tried turning vertical shaft cw slightly but still cannot align. Any suggusests on how to align units so they will mate?"

"The drive and control lever &

"The drive and control lever (shift/throttle) needs to be in forward. If you have a problem mating the lower to the upper, there's a special tool made but if you rotate the prop shaft CCW, the drive shaft will rotate and it won't go out of forward. If you rotate it CW, it will usually push the clutch dog back and disengage. Also, make sure the water pump outlet matches up with the tube going to the upper gear case and this might be why you have a 3/4" gap. If you lubed the impeller (you should have so it doesn't spin dry), it'll go backward without reversing the vanes."

"Thanks Jim... shift lever and

"Thanks Jim... shift lever and throlle are in forward. I was sure to line up the water tube as I installed it, so I don't thing that's it. Lubed the water tube and impeller. My concern is that I did the prop ccw tick last time I replaced impeller. Now when I removed pump this year, one vane was reversed. So, I'm still leary about doing this ccw trick again. Can I bump the engine with the starter to align spline as I install it? any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks"

"Bumping it with the starter w

"Bumping it with the starter will probably make it go past where you want it but you can crank it by using a wrench on the crank pulley/balancer bolt. If you need to, remove some of the spark plugs so you aren't cranking against the compression."

"By turning the propshaft CCW,

"By turning the propshaft CCW, the verticalshaft is turning the proper direction for the water pump. If there was a vane reversed the propshaft rotated while in gear or the vertical shaft was turned after the lowerhalf was removed from the boat. Put the thing on and run it."

"next time, take the drive off

"next time, take the drive off the boat. you saved about $6 on the gasket, made a lot of extra work for yourself, and missed an opportunity to inspect u-jounts, gimbal bearing,& bellows."

"To Scott, I removed upper uni

"To Scott, I removed upper unit and did an inspection. All looked good. Re-assembled upper and lower and put entire drive on. Naturally, drive spline would not engage and had to turn prop ccw to align. It's in.

To Harves Marine, If drive and lower unit are in forward as required to install, then any ccw (as viewed from back of boat looking forward) of prop will turn vertical shaft and pump backwards. Turning prop cw will ratch, as designed. In this forward mode, only movement of vertical shaft or upper unit shaft can come from ccw prop rotation. Went to great pains to check this. Unless I'm missing something, any ccw prop rotation when in forward will result in a reverse rotation of pump. Any way, did as you said and put it in an ran it. Thanks for everyones help."

"with drive off, you can turn

"with drive off, you can turn the upper to mate spline. reversing vanes should not damage new impeller, it will right itself when run."

"Tom, so sorry, I was wrong. W

"Tom, so sorry, I was wrong. When I wrote the post I went out in the shop and grabed on to a propshaft and turned it, I just screwed up on the direction. My apologies."

"i am a first time boat owner

"i am a first time boat owner and i dont know how to tell if the water pump in my 93 aplha 1 leg is working properly,"

Back