Logo

Lower unit

chevytough1975

"i am having trouble finding o

"i am having trouble finding out anything about this lower unit. It is an OMC from a 1984 Rinker with a 3.8 v6. M# 983487 S# j346731 I believe it ia a 800 but not sure. Lower says OMC stern drive v6. please be as specific as possible. is this unit a stringer? The engine and lower unit move as one when you adjust the trim. I am used to mercrusiers, never used a OMC before. Is this a good lower unit? doing a repower on the boat and dont want to waste my money. Can somebody at least tell me where to look to try to find out about this unit. Thanks"

"The drive in total is a mix o

"The drive in total is a mix of the old electric shift and an outboard unit.
Upper unit is with some minor changes similar to the old el-shift units with its positive = best maneuvering out drive ever made, and negative= vulnerable to water in the oil issues.
The first 800 lower units had a servo assist shifting system with an oil pump at the prop shaft and the assist cylinder on the shift rod. Worked for some time until the sylinder seized up normally due to water in the oil. Not repairable according to OMC, no problem if done properly. I have fixed several of them in my time.
The later versions of the 800 drives used a similar shift assist system as later used on the Cobra. Micro switches inside the boat where the gear cables enter from the drive, parly cut ignition to ease shift out operation.
So look at the inside where the shift cables are attached, if you find some switces and cables there, you have the latest version."

Back