Logo

1989 350 crusaders

J

Joe James

"I have replaced: fuel pumps,

"I have replaced: fuel pumps, plug wires,plugs, dist caps, coils, carbs, pick up in dist. and all fuel filters.
The starboard engine will idle fine for a short period and warm up before running poorly. after I let it set for 5 to 10 minutes it does the same thing. the port engine runs fine and they run off the same tank. I have checked and cleaned the anti siphon valves and loosened the gas cap thinking that I had a vacuum problem. Any suggestions???"

Did it act the same way before

Did it act the same way before and after you replaced all of the items? Was there a change?

"Have a strange problem... I b

"Have a strange problem... I bought a 1987 Silverton 34X with twin 454 Crusader 350's. The port engine on any given day will just die. It happens at idle, and at cruising speed. It re-starts immediately, and may run fine for days or minutes, depending on what it feels like. I have changed the water/fuel separators, the engine fuel filter, the carb fuel filter,taken off the one rubber fuel hose, (still firm)blown it out (no debris ), and checked the remaining steel lines for kinks or problems. The boat has one 250 gallon fuel tank, and the starboard engine has never had a problem. Engines have 700 hrs on them, I'm the third owner. Boat did sit for two years out of the water before I bought it. I can go an entire weekend , with no problems, the in one evening it might shut down 5 times. Always restarts immediately, and when it dies, it shuts right off...no sputter or slow die. The boat is in fresh water, Lake Erie. Any help would be appreciated."

"Randy, Sounds like an electr

"Randy, Sounds like an electrical connection or possibly a relay. I would check the connections on the engine and also under the helm. Do your guages loose power when it shuts down? There are also some Bosch relays on the engine which could have poor connections or be starting to fail. I would take a good look at these as well. They are a good item to carry in your took kit so you should probably pick one up if you don't already have a spare. If it were a fuel problem or a heat related ignition component I don't feel it would restart so easily. Keep us posted on what you find.

Good luck
Rick"

"What style ignition system is

"What style ignition system is used on the motor? I have had numberous intermittant problems with point and condensor style ignition systems on both a 350 and 454 Crusader. Coils can act up intermittantly as well.

After the engine stops, is there time to determine if you are getting a spark? How far will the spark jump? That could tell you a story.

If you have a spare coil, change it out and see if the same problem occurs.

just a few suggestions here."

"I had the same problem years

"I had the same problem years ago. It turned out to be the ignition switch. The spring inside was week, vibration was shutting down same as turning the key to OFF."

Back