Logo

Merc 488 cylinder head question

arrowsniper

"I have a 1984 488 engine that

"I have a 1984 488 engine that was totally rebuilt (upper and lower end) about 4 years ago. The guy that had the boat before me used the old head (which was on its way out), when he had it rebuilt. Now several years later, there is an exhaust port leak which was temporarily repaired with some kind of heat rated epoxy weld. (not by me!!) I will be rebuilding the engine (upper half) over the winter, and want to start slowly reseaching this and gathering info.

My question is that I have found several different kinds of head for this engine, and was wondering which one is the right one to use (or the best one) for this application. Also do they make any kind of valve adusting system (adjustable rocker arms, pushrods etc.) that is easier to adjust rather than taking off the rocker assembly and messing with different size pushrods? I have rebuilt engines before, and think this "adjustment " system is a poor one, and was wondering if there is a better "mousetrap" available?
All input and info would be greatly appreciated."

"Exactly what is that motor?

"Exactly what is that motor? A Chevy V-8, a Ford?
The "488" doesn't identify it to dopey old me.

Jeff"

"that is basicly a ford 460 he

"that is basicly a ford 460 head. you are right, adjustment is a pain. thank ford engineering. shim kits are available thru auto parts stores, not much better, but saves changing out pushrods."

You can use a 460 ford cyl. he

You can use a 460 ford cyl. head. You have to modify the head by milling thru the front of the casting for water ciculation...its no big deal to do. Ive yet to see a 3.7L need to have to any adjustment to date. If that becomes a problem crane cams makes a kit for the 460 ford that would work and you will have parts left over for a buddy with the same powerplant.

Back